My NagiosXI got WARING SNMP on status Service

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
kimseng

My NagiosXI got WARING SNMP on status Service

Post by kimseng »

Hi NagiosXI team,

I don't know why my nagiosxi is working normally but one day i got an error with snmp error mostly service status on interface but bandwidth is working normal.

MikroTik vlan2-MGT Status Warning 2h 38m 0s 5/5 2019-09-05 13:45:42 WARNING: SNMP error: No response from remote host 'x.x.x.x'

MikroTik sfp-sfpplus2 Status Warning 5m 54s 5/5 2019-09-05 13:48:21 WARNING: SNMP error: No response from remote host 'x.x.x.x'

Noted: x.x.x.x is my MikroTik IP address

Best Regards,
Kimseng
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mbellerue

Re: My NagiosXI got WARING SNMP on status Service

Post by mbellerue »

The first thing to check would be to make sure that Nagios can communicate with the devices. If you log into your Nagios server, can you ping any of those devices without issue?

Can you get the command for one of those service checks and run it at the command line?
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.

Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!
kimseng

Post by kimseng »

Like i mention above when we create host to monitoring example one port interface we have two service one is Status and Bandwidth but the error is status. yes during i got an alert i can ping to host normal like now all the status is back normal without do anything. could guide me how to find the root issue?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mbellerue

Post by mbellerue »

Could you PM me your system profile? Go to Admin -> System Config -> System Profile -> Download Profile. I can take a look at that and see if there is any reason why Nagios would not be able to talk to the devices.

A couple more questions.
How often does this happen?
When it does happen, does Nagios lose the ability to communicate with all devices via SNMP at the same time?
Is communication lost to any other services that you may be checking?
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.

kimseng

Post by kimseng »

A couple more questions.

How often does this happen?
Answer: I got this issues a few time already since i started use around 1 year ago.

When it does happen, does Nagios lose the ability to communicate with all devices via SNMP at the same time?
Answer: Only some device not all.

Is communication lost to any other services that you may be checking?
Answer: during it's lost the communication still working normal without no issue.
Last edited by kimseng on Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kimseng

Post by kimseng »

My issue happen again this morning and i noted that mostly SNMP to some MikroTik Device but not all. Any solution?
mbellerue

Post by mbellerue »

So not all of your MikroTik devices are failing to respond. But it is only MikroTik devices that are not responding.

How many service checks do you monitor on this Nagios server? And how many of the total number of checks are MikroTik devices?

Also, for these devices that are currently failing, are there host checks? These are usually simple ping checks. If so, are the host checks failing?

We might also want to try running tcpdump on the Nagios server, and then running an immediate check on one of the failed checks. Ssh into the Nagios server, become root, and run

Code: Select all

tcpdump udp port 161
Then, in the Nagios web interface, find one of your checks that is not able to connect, and have it force an immediate check.

Once that's done, go back to your ssh session, stop the tcpdump by hitting ctrl+c, and see if you have any packets to/from the device you just ran a check against.