Connecting mobile device into Nagios

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
fidia

Connecting mobile device into Nagios

Post by fidia »

Hi,

So I have a task to use one of the IoT elements (in this case my mobile phone) and to connect it to Nagios XI,

for the purpose of using mobiles sensor for temperature.

Firstly, I tried to connect my mobile via SNMP by using its IP address, and down bellow there is a section called

SNMP Services and option to select IBM RSA II Adapter Temperature, so I selected it.

However, after the device was added I tried testing it in terminal if it works by typing ./check_ssh <ipaddress> and it exported

"connect to address <ipaddress> and port 22: Connection refused."

Since I am new to Nagios, this is some logical solution that I tried for the purpose of my task, also with the help of the internet tutorials.

So I would extremly appreciate perhaps some better solutions.

Thank you in advance.
mbellerue

Re: Connecting mobile device into Nagios

Post by mbellerue »

There are a few things I'm seeing here.

First, using your mobile phone for testing SNMP. Is your mobile phone set up to respond to SNMP probes? Specifically all of the probes shown in the screenshot? For example, the IBM RSA II adapter I believe is a card that is installed into servers for remote management.

Second, check_ssh is for checking the status of a remote machine's ssh service. Whether it's up or down, what version, etc. If you are trying to run your commands from the command line, you will want to see how the check command is built. For this, go to Configure -> Core Configuration Manager -> Services -> find the service check that you want to run from the command line, and click on the wrench icon. There you will see the Command View, which will help in figuring out how the command is built. Or click the Run Check Command button, and run the check from there. It should show you the full command.

Third, if you want to check IoT devices using SNMP, you will have to look up each of the devices that you use on your network. SNMP requires configuration specific to the device that you are monitoring. For this, the best place to start looking is generally the manufacturer's website. The IoT device may also provide a route other than SNMP for monitoring. Like a web API for example.
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.

Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!
fidia

Post by fidia »

Thank you for your response.

I was researching a bit for the solution on how to set my mobile to respond, in this case to the SNMP probs.
So here i came up to the section where it might hold an answer, and yet I am not so sure for which proxy address should i enter, like shown in the picture bellow.

However, after you mentioned the idea of using another technic for connecting IoT device (my mobile phone) via web API, I am curious if there is an option for that, in Nagios XI, and if so, where exactly?

Also, to answer the first question of yours. I was researching about how to set my phone to respond to the SNMP probe, especially for the IBM RSA II adapter, but could not find any valid solutions, in the first place, when I was entering my phones details into SNMP configuration, there was a section in which i could choose between different services as shown on the picture in my first post (those are the Services that i selected), so I thought that if it is detected, that it would automatically work, but unfortunately, it doesn't. Also to mention I tried to ping my phone after connecting it on Nagios via SNMP, and it responds without issues. The phone that I am using is Samsung Galaxy S3.
mbellerue

Post by mbellerue »

I was researching about how to set my phone to respond to the SNMP probe, especially for the IBM RSA II adapter
I think this is we are getting mixed up here. In order to monitor your RSA II adapter, Nagios should be pointed to the IP address for that adapter, not for your phone. We can definitely setup alerts to go to your phone. But Nagios needs to be pointed to the IP of the device that should be monitored.

It may be worth setting up a Nagios demo with one of our technicians.
https://www.nagios.com/request-demo/
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.

Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!