Switch&Router / NCPA wizards - interface name and direction

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
solarmon

Switch&Router / NCPA wizards - interface name and direction

Post by solarmon »

Hi,

I have been using the Switch / Router or NCPA wizards to create services for a Windows host but have come across an issue.

The NCPA wizard is finding the interface name (that is displayed/used in Windows) correctly. However, the NCPA wizard creates separate inbound and outbound services for each interface selected. Thus. when displaying the interface links in Nagvis this means that a separate line needs to be created for each direction.

Is there an option/way to combine the inbound/outbound in to a single service so you only need to create a single line (with type "----><----") to represent the link?

I have also tried using the Switch/Router wizard - this creates a combined service for the inbound/outbound interface traffic, along with a service for the status of the interface. This is what I like to have and is ideal, however this Router/Switch wizard does not seem to detect the interface name (that is displayed/used in Windows) correctly. It does not find the 'nice' name that is given to the interface in Windows.

For example, it detects the following:

Port | Port Name | Port Description
Port 12 | ethernet_14 | vmxnet3-Ethernet-Adapter

But, in Windows the interface is called, for example, "Management"

I would like "Management" to be used as the name of the service for that interface.

How can I resolve the issue of either the NCPA or the Router/Switch wizard that I am experiencing?
ssax
Dreams In Code

Re: Switch&Router / NCPA wizards - interface name and direct

Post by ssax »

You will need to change the port description manually in Config > Core Config Manager > Services.

Windows puts that on the Alias it seems:

Code: Select all

[root@xid mrtg2]# snmpwalk -v2c -c 'SNMPCOMMUNITY' 192.168.5.232 | grep -i TESTNAME
IF-MIB::ifAlias.11 = STRING: TESTNAME
I'm trying to add Alias to the Network Switch / Router wizard, if you don't hear from me by midday Monday, please reply to this thread so that it pops up on my dashboard and alerts me.
solarmon

Post by solarmon »

Thanks!

That was the word I was looking for - "Alias"!

Yes, the "Network Switch / Router" wizard should have "Port's Alias" as an option for "Monitor Using". At the moment the only options are:

Port's number
Port's Name
Port's Description
solarmon

Post by solarmon »

As requested, a reminder for you!
ssax
Dreams In Code

Post by ssax »

Still need some more time on this, the switch wizard is updated but the backend cfgmaker command doesn't allow it to work currently, here is the default:

/usr/bin/cfgmaker --show-op-down --noreversedns --zero-speed 100000000 community@192.168.X.X:161::::2
We need to call it like this:

/usr/bin/cfgmaker --show-op-down --noreversedns --zero-speed 100000000 --ifdesc=alias community@192.168.X.X:161::::2
But doing that REQUIRES that you add the Microsoft entry to the cfgmaker vendor setup for --ifdesc=alias to work:

/usr/bin/cfgmaker:

996             '1.3.6.1.4.1.3955.' =>       'LinkSys',
    997             '1.3.6.1.4.1.311.' =>        'Microsoft'

169     } elsif ( $routers->{$router}{deviceinfo}{Vendor} =~ /(?:hp|juniper|dlink|wwp|foundry|dellLan|force10|3com        |extremenetworks|openBSD|arista|enterasys|zyxel|vyatta|microsoft)/i) {

So I did that and now I'm seeing that cfgmaker automatically tries to do this:

718                 my $if_description = "$if_snmp_descr $if_snmp_alias $if_cisco_descr";
I have that working but I need to test it out in the morning, but it seems to always show those 3 things and ONLY if they exist and match the code changes above. Whew!

If you don't hear from me by midday Wednesday, please reply to this thread so that it pops up on my dashboard and alerts me.
solarmon

Post by solarmon »

Sorry - forgot to post a reminder yesterday afternoon.
solarmon

Post by solarmon »

Hi @ssax

How you getting on with the testing?
ssax
Dreams In Code

Post by ssax »

I haven't had much time in the last couple days but I should have something for you on Monday as it's failing to download from my system so that I can get it to you in a form that will work for you.

You will need to replace this file as well as there are changes:

/usr/bin/cfgmaker
Thanks for being patient!
solarmon

Post by solarmon »

Hi @ssax

Will it not be just be in the form of an update to the "Network Switch / Router" module?
ssax
Dreams In Code

Post by ssax »

The developers will need to implement a proper solution, this is just a one-off that I'm hoping to spin into a feature to be included by the devs but you're just working with the support department (that's why I'm trying to make the changes), otherwise you'd need to wait for an official release through the standard development lifecycle.

You'll have to manually update /usr/bin/cfgmaker, if that's a problem let me know so I know not to go any further as that's what is required to do this for you. In addition, the modification will be reverted on an upgrade and will need to be re-implemented after each upgrade, the responsibility falls on you to maintain this and keep re-implementing in different versions until the developers implement an official solution, do not make the modification unless you agree to those terms otherwise you will need to wait for the developers to implement the feature request to have that functionality.

I've submitted this feature request on your behalf:

FR: XI - Network Switch/Router Wizard - Add ifAlias as an option (windows adapters use the alias if you rename from the windows GUI)
Please keep in mind that the decision to implement the enhancement is at the discretion of our development team.​