application and service logs event Id and specific string

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
grayloglearn

application and service logs event Id and specific string

Post by grayloglearn »

Hi Team,

We want to monitor the application and service logs event Id and specific string. Can someone help how to define a command to monitor the application and service logs event Id.Please find the attachment for your reference we want to monitor the 317 Event ID which is in application and service logs event Id, for that we have define below command but we are not sure is it correct or not.
I am just worrying about does check_eventlog command will work for application and service logs also? >

/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_nrpe -H XXXX-u -t 30 -c check_eventlog -a "scan-range=-55000m" "file=AD FS 2.0/Admin" "warn=count>0" "crit=none" "filter=(id='317' AND source=' AD FS 2.0') AND level in('error', 'warning') "

And we want to monitor the string in eventlog in "application and service logs" please find the attachment. We want to monitor the string "The certificate has been revoked" in details i have highlighted in screenshot.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mbellerue

Re: application and service logs event Id and specific strin

Post by mbellerue »

It looks like this particular function was meant to look at a single log file only. However, you can search for the string in the message by using this command.

Code: Select all

/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_nrpe -H XXXX-u -t 30 -c check_eventlog -a "scan-range=-55000m" "file=AD FS 2.0/Admin" "warn=count>0" "crit=none" "filter=(id='317' AND source=' AD FS 2.0' AND message='The certificate has been revoked') AND level in('error', 'warning') "
Do keep in mind that parsing the messages field will make the command take a little longer to execute.
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.

Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!
grayloglearn

Post by grayloglearn »

Hi Team,

Thanks for the reply. Its showing something wrong. as per attachment the event ID 317 generated 8-10-2019 3:16 PM. Our command is running as scan range -550000m , If we convert 550000 m to hours 916.66667 hours. its nearly 38 days means we are checking if last 38days logs will have 317 Id then it should give alert but its showing OK. I tried with -5500m but still i am getting the ok state only.

Still i have doubt does check_eventlog will search automatically in application and serverlogs area. or do we need specify any thing in command again.

/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_nrpe -H XXXX -u -t 90 -c check_eventlog -a "scan-range=-5500m" "file=AD FS 2.0/Admin" "warn=count>0" "crit=none" "filter=(id='317' AND source=' AD FS 2.0' AND message='The certificate has been revoked') AND level in('error', 'warning') "
OK: No entries found|'count'=0;0;0

you can see the event generated ID times and scan range time which i have kept.

/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_nrpe -H XXXX -u -t 90 -c check_eventlog -a "scan-range=-550000m" "file=AD FS 2.0/Admin" "warn=count>0" "crit=none" "filter=(id='317' AND source=' AD FS 2.0' AND message='The certificate has been revoked') AND level in('error', 'warning') "
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Post by scottwilkerson »

I noticed there was an additional space in the query after source, try

Code: Select all

/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_nrpe -H XXXX-u -t 30 -c check_eventlog -a "scan-range=-55000m" "file=AD FS 2.0/Admin" "warn=count>0" "crit=none" "filter=(id='317' AND source='AD FS 2.0' AND message='The certificate has been revoked') AND level in('error', 'warning') "
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com
grayloglearn

Post by grayloglearn »

Hi Team,

Still i am not getting valid out put from.
/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_nrpe -H xxxx -u -t 30 -c check_eventlog -a "scan-range=-55000m" "file=AD FS 2.0/Admin" "warn=count>0" "crit=none" "filter=(id='317' AND source='AD FS 2.0' AND message='The certificate has been revoked') AND level in('error', 'warning') "

but when i try with without message its given warning but its also not valid one
/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_nrpe -H XXXX -u -t 30 -c check_eventlog -a "scan-range=-5500m" "file=AD FS 2.0/Admin" "warn=count>0" "crit=none" "filter=(id='317' AND source='AD FS 2.0') AND level in('error', 'warning')"

but as per logs the alert was generate at sunday event though its not giving valid output. where we are doing wrong that we are not able to understand.
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Post by scottwilkerson »

I think it would be best to direct the conversation to the actual software creators as we are not the authors of NSClient++ and this could in fact be a bug.

they have a forum here
https://forums.nsclient.org/
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com