SNMP wizards - SNMP v3 Context Name support

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
solarmon

SNMP wizards - SNMP v3 Context Name support

Post by solarmon »

Hi,

check_snmp supports SNMP v3 and Context Name using the -N option:

Code: Select all

check_snmp -H <ip_address> -o <OID> [-w warn_range] [-c crit_range]
[-C community] [-s string] [-r regex] [-R regexi] [-t timeout] [-e retries]
[-l label] [-u units] [-p port-number] [-d delimiter] [-D output-delimiter]
[-m miblist] [-P snmp version] [-N context] [-L seclevel] [-U secname]
[-a authproto] [-A authpasswd] [-x privproto] [-X privpasswd]
However, the SNMP and SNMP Walk wizard does not have a field to supply a Context Name value.

Could I request SNMP v3 Context Name support for the SNMP, SNMP Walk and Switch/Router wizards.
ssax
Dreams In Code

Re: SNMP wizards - SNMP v3 Context Name support

Post by ssax »

I've created a feature request on your behalf for this as it would be nice to have:

Code: Select all

FR: XI - SNMP Wizards supporting SNMP v3 - Add support for Context Name and Context ID
Please keep in mind that the decision to implement the enhancement is at the discretion of our development team.

Thank you for submitting this, we are always striving to improve our products and you requesting them definitely helps us become aware of what you (the customer) would like. The wizards likely won't ever get feature parity with what the backend plugins support but if you see a need somewhere, let us know so we can make the devs aware like this.

Thank you!
solarmon

Post by solarmon »

@ssax

Thanks.

Let me put some context (pun unintended) to this request.

I would like to monitor clustered CheckPoint VSX nodes. Specifically, the multiple VS (Virtual Systems) that are hosted on these clustered nodes. This requires the use of SNMP v3 with the Context Name of the VS to be provided.
ssax
Dreams In Code

Post by ssax »

Thanks for the clarification, I've updated the request to include the link back to this thread so the developers will see it.

If this is something that you need right now (instead of through the standard development lifecycle) you can reach out to sales@nagios.com to get more information/a quote for custom development.

Thank you!