why service template services are not inherited by an object

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
nshah

why service template services are not inherited by an object

Post by nshah »

We have just install Nagios XI and activate the License. Here is our NagiosXI version-

Latest Available Version: 5.6.7
Installed Version: 5.6.7
Last Update Check: 2019-10-17 15:53:11

I created a service template with different services Under the CCM tab. And my understanding is that a Template is a group of settings that can be inherited by an object. I should be able to define a Service Template, assign that to a Host or Host group, and that host or all of the hosts in that Hostgorup would inherit all of the services in the Service Template. Is that correct?

After I Apply the configuration. There are not additional services shows up in the host/hosts. Looks like the relationship is not working properly. I already spent a lot of time on it trying to figure out. What I am doing wrong here? Any help is appreciated!!
tgriep
Madmin

Re: why service template services are not inherited by an ob

Post by tgriep »

Here is what you have to do.
When you create the Service Template, you need to add the HostGroup to the template with the HostGroup Inheritance Option set to the Plus Symbol "additive inheritance".

This "additive inheritance" can be accomplished by prepending the local variable value with a plus sign (+). This features is only available for standard (non-custom) variables that contain string values

Create the Service Check and add the Service Template to it but make sure the service does not have any hosts or HostGroups set to it which may negate the inheritance.
Save it out and see is the services are created for all of the hosts in the hostgroup.
Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!