nagios linux client issue

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
thisplace

nagios linux client issue

Post by thisplace »

So I installed my first copy of Nagios Core/XI since it's free for a period of time. The install of the server piece was pretty painless and then I decide to install the NRPE client on my Samba 4 AD to monitor HD space, etc. What came next is a 16 hour crap show. Why in the holly crap does the agent decide to upgrade packages without warning me? What happened was that Samba 4 stopped working altogether and I spent the night trying to find a way to get it running again. I'm on the tail end of 28 hours up and I'm not happy.

Ultimately the upraded package/rpms were being used by my Samba 4 and when those were changed out from under it, it could no longer allow any logins to the domain, or serve DNS, or give access to file shares. Besides others, Kerberos was upgraded and it was the wrong version for samba.

I again ask, why would you just blatantly upgrade packages to install your agent?

I was able to restore from a backup before the office staff arrived this morning, but I'm scared to install another agent anywhere else. Is there some way to install the agent without blowing up other servers?
Last edited by thisplace on Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
benjaminsmith

Re: nagios linux client issue

Post by benjaminsmith »

Hello,

While I’m relieved to hear that the production server is back online, I’m sorry to hear about the frustration you experienced while deploying the NRPE agent.

I would love to assist you in getting everything successfully up and running! I will send you a private message to get a little more information about your environment and what method you used to install NRPE. As a new user of Nagios XI, you are also eligible for a complimentary Quickstart remote session! I will include additional information about that in the private message.

Best Regards,
Benjamin Smith
Support Manager
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.

Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!
thisplace

Post by thisplace »

Hello benjaminsmith,

I have searched in vain for a way to reply to your pm, apparently this board won't let me pm until I use the board more. Not cool when I need to reply.

The way I installed it was to download the "linux-nrpe-agent.tar.gz" and untared it and ran "fullinstall". What are the other ways to install it?

---
Regarding the Linux NRPE deployment, there are 3 ways to install this agent, can you let us know which installation method you used and provide a brief description of your monitoring requirements. I'd like to review this with the support team.
benjaminsmith

Post by benjaminsmith »

Good Morning,

That's a security feature for first-time posters. My apologies, you should be able to reply to any private messages now.

I just sent you another message, please reply so I can confirm that everything is working as expected. Thanks!
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.

Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!