CHECK_VMWARE_API.PL CRITICAL - Host "" does not exist

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
brennanma

CHECK_VMWARE_API.PL CRITICAL - Host "" does not exist

Post by brennanma »

Hi Folks,

We are currently running a trial of the Nagios XI appliance (version 5.6.8) in consideration of migrating from Nagios Core. As part of this, we are trying to monitor several VMWare ESXi hosts (version 6.7.0, 14320388). I have four identical hosts which are HP DL 380 Gen 9 -- we are running the HP customized version of ESXi.

Of the four hosts, three of them test without issue. The fourth, however, returns the error mentioned in the subject (CHECK_VMWARE_API.PL CRITICAL - Host "" does not exist). As far as I can tell, the hosts are configured identically. The checks are also working for 4 other VMWare ESXi hosts which are running different hardware but the same ESXi version.

We actually never got any of these working on our old Nagios Core setup, so we're doing better than we were before. At this point I'm a bit out of ideas what might be causing this. Any existing articles I have been able to find have not been helpful. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

-Matt
lmiltchev
Former Nagios Staff

Re: CHECK_VMWARE_API.PL CRITICAL - Host "" does not exist

Post by lmiltchev »

Matt, what is the version of SDK that you installed on the Nagios XI server?

Did you follow the instructions in the document below?
https://assets.nagios.com/downloads/nag ... ios-XI.pdf

Can you show us a command, run from the command line along with the output of it in "verbose mode"?

Example:

Code: Select all

/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_vmware_api.pl -H "<ip address>" -u '<username>' -p '<password>' -l "CPU" -vvv
Also, try the following:

Code: Select all

cd /usr/lib/vmware-vcli/apps/general
./connect.pl --url https://<ip address>/sdk/vimService --username '<username>' --password <password>'
Were you able to connect?
Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!