MS Windows services status "UNKNOWN"

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
lukedevon

MS Windows services status "UNKNOWN"

Post by lukedevon »

Hi

I have installed latest version of nsclient++ in my MS Windows 7, desktop. Configured it and restarted the service. This Windows desktop and the Nagios XI are in the same network. Therefore No issues with the firewall access.

I am able to telnet to from Nagios XI to WIndows 7 PC's port 5666 and 12489.

Also executed check_nrpe

[root@nagiosxi libexec]# ./check_nrpe -H 192.168.10.101
I (0.5.2.35 2018-01-28) seem to be doing fine...

However after I integrated the particular node in Nagios XI using "Configuration Wizard" ,

Ping is "Green"
But all other checks are "UNKNOWN"

May I know what I have done wrong here ? How can I get it fixed?

Thank you
Luke.
lukedevon

Re: MS Windows services status "UNKNOWN"

Post by lukedevon »

Hi

I was able to fix the issue by editing the nsclient.ini file and enabled the following modules:

CheckExternalScripts = enabled
CheckHelpers = enabled
CheckEventLog = enabled
CheckNSCP = enabled
CheckDisk = enabled
CheckSystem = enabled

performance data = enabled

Then restarted the nscient service.

That's all. All got green.

------------------------------------------------------------

But can somebody help me to understand the following;

NSClient is running on port 12489, and Nagios XI's chek_nt command accessing port 12489 of the Windows machine and extract the details.

Then what is the purpose of port 5666?

As I understood , Nagios XI always act as a server and while all windows systems act as clients with the installed plugin. then what are the other ports that we need to open for Nagios XI in the remote windows systems ?

and what are the ports that we need to open in Nagios XI for remote windows systems to access ?

According to this doc,
https://assets.nagios.com/downloads/nag ... tocols.pdf

what firewall access we need to allow,

from Nagios XI to Windows Systems and
from Windows systems to Nagios XI?

Thanks in Advance,
Luke.
mbellerue

Re: MS Windows services status "UNKNOWN"

Post by mbellerue »

Well first and foremost, I'm glad you were able to get your services monitored.

Regarding ports 12489 versus 5666, these are two ports for two different services. The check_nt plugin was made to query NSClient on port 12489. However, NRPE was a popular agent on Linux and Unix-like machines, and to query NRPE, you would use check_nrpe. The people who made NSClient also build an NRPE listener into NSClient so that you could use check_nt or check_nrpe if you wanted.

If all of your check commands are using check_nt, then you can disable the NRPE server in NSClient.

Regarding the ports, you should only have to open up the ports on the system that the plugins are running against. The communication is outbound from the Nagios server to the server you are monitoring. If you are just using check_nt, then you should only need to open 12489 on the Windows server.
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.

Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!