Best way to monitor VCenter

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
CoMAdmin

Best way to monitor VCenter

Post by CoMAdmin »

I already configured my NagiosXI to server to monitor individual VMWare Hosts. However, I am looking now for the BEST way to monitor our VCenter. We have over 100 VMWare hosts and are trying to stay away from having to manage each one individually.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Re: Best way to monitor VCenter

Post by scottwilkerson »

Here is a guide that outlines setting up your XI server to use the vmware wizard.

This wizard can be used to connect to and monitor vCenter servers including the hosts/datastores and guests (VMs)
https://assets.nagios.com/downloads/nag ... ios-XI.pdf
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com
CoMAdmin

Post by CoMAdmin »

Thanks Scott. This is the guide that I followed to monitor the VMWare hosts but I dont think that I can monitor vCenter using this plugin.

Please advise which method I can use to monitor vCenter using this plugin?

Thanks.
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Post by scottwilkerson »

We use this to monitor vCenter in-house.

You just use the vCenter IP in the Address field and login with a valid username/password to the vCenter server

If you want to monitor the guests (VMs) just select the box "Monitor a guest VM on the VMWare host" and it should return a selection of all the VM's on the server for you to select which to monitor as well as a selection of what to monitor on a different tab.
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com
CoMAdmin

Post by CoMAdmin »

Thanks for your quick reply. I tried this today and I am able to monitor vCenter without any issues. However, the services being monitored are only for the vcenter as a whole and not for the individual hosts. With this current setup, I dont think that I would see any specific issues with a host itself unless something occurs with vcenter itself. Correct?

Any clarification or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
lmiltchev
Former Nagios Staff

Post by lmiltchev »

Have you looked into the "box293_check_vmware" plugin on the Nagios Exchange?

https://exchange.nagios.org/directory/P ... re/details

It is a 3rd party plugin (not officially supported) but it may do the job for you. The plugin's developer is very knowledgeable, and is an active member of the Nagios community. You can always contact him on the Nagios Exchange in case you run into some issues with it.
Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!