Nagios XI Configuration Errors

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
bvanasten

Nagios XI Configuration Errors

Post by bvanasten »

Hello:

I'm receiving the following error when I try to Apply Configuration for a deleted user. All I did was delete the user from the Contacts in Core Config Manager.

Please see attached file.

I would like to change the configuration on some of the hosts I have setup, but I keep getting an error trying to do that because of the user error.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Thanks

Brian
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lmiltchev
Former Nagios Staff

Re: Nagios XI Configuration Errors

Post by lmiltchev »

Nagios cannot start/restart with configuration errors. Open the is-z440-win10.waupaca-cty.local.cfg file, and see what is on line 16. You should remove all of the contact's relationships to other objects before removing it. See if the "Brent Wyland" contact is added to any hosts/services. If he is, go to this host/service under the CCM (Alert Settings tab), and remove the contact. Don't apply configuration yet. Go to the CCM > Tools > Config File Management, click on "Delete Files", "Write Configs", and "Verify Files". If you don't see any config errors, apply configuration. If you do see errors, go back to the CCM and fix them. You may need to repeat the process if "Brent Wyland" is added to more then one host/service.

If you have Nagios XI Enterprise Edition, you can go to the CCM > Tools > Bulk Modifications Tool > Remove Contact > Brent Wyland > Find Relationships > Check All (for hosts and services) > Save Changes, and Apply Configuration.

Let us know if this helped.
Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!
bvanasten

Post by bvanasten »

That worked!! Thank you very much lmiltchev!!

How should I properly delete a user? I just went into CCM and contacts and removed it from there and that caused all the issue. If there is a different way to accomplish this without creating errors, I would definitely follow that.

Also, what is the difference between Contacts (CCM Alerting) and Manage Users (Admin)? Where should I be creating the users so they will receive the email notifications/alerts? I'm thinking CCM Alerting but I would like to verify that.

Thanks again for your responses!!
lmiltchev
Former Nagios Staff

Post by lmiltchev »

That worked!! Thank you very much lmiltchev!!
I am glad I could help! :)
How should I properly delete a user? I just went into CCM and contacts and removed it from there and that caused all the issue. If there is a different way to accomplish this without creating errors, I would definitely follow that.
Before deleting an object, you could check the existing relationships by clicking on the Relationships actions button next to your object under the CCM (the white "i" in the blue circle).
example01.PNG
For example, you could go to the CCM > Alerting > Contacts, and click on the Relationships actions button next to the contact you would like to delete. You could see if the contact is added to any hosts/services. Simply remove the contact from these objects, then delete it.
Also, what is the difference between Contacts (CCM Alerting) and Manage Users (Admin)? Where should I be creating the users so they will receive the email notifications/alerts? I'm thinking CCM Alerting but I would like to verify that.
Contacts only and "xi users" that are also contacts are similar but not the same. The "xi users" would be the "preferred" type of contacts in Nagios XI, even though you could use both. Read more on the relationships between users and contacts in Nagios XI here:

https://assets.nagios.com/downloads/nag ... ntacts.pdf

If you are unsure how to configure email and text notifications in Nagios XI, please review our documentation on the topic here:

https://assets.nagios.com/downloads/nag ... ios-XI.pdf

Let us know if you have any further questions or it is ok to close this topic, and mark it as resolved. Thank you!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bvanasten

Post by bvanasten »

Thank you very much for the information lmiltchev!!

You can proceed with closing this topic.

You have made my first time using the forums a very positive experience and you are very knowledgeable person!! Thanks again for all your help and I hope you have a GREAT day!!
lmiltchev
Former Nagios Staff

Post by lmiltchev »

@bvanasten, thank you for choosing Nagios! We're happy have you in the community. Besides the support forum, please check out our knowledgebase for useful tech tips and HowTos.