The monitoring engine shows: not running

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
mcd

Re: The monitoring engine shows: not running

Post by mcd »

no, there is not a home dir (I thought that was already ok'd?), the sudoers looks ok
visudo -c
/etc/sudoers: parsed OK
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Post by scottwilkerson »

lets run the following to re-create the directory

Code: Select all

mkdir /home/nagios
chown nagios.users /home/nagios
chmod u+rwx /home/nagios
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com
mcd

Post by mcd »

Our home dir's are auto mounted so i'll have to create (actually modify) the ldap nagios account (the nagios host has a local user set up too so it is a little confusing.) Does the nagios user need a specific UID and default GID ?
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Post by scottwilkerson »

mcd wrote:Does the nagios user need a specific UID and default GID ?
Not specifically, but they need to match what there were when the setup was ran

You should be able to see them running the following

ls -ldn /usr/local/nagios/
compared to the non numeric

ls -ld /usr/local/nagios/
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com
mcd

Post by mcd »

Still investigating but I'm guessing I'm going to have to conform to the ldap id's
Will there be any problems if chown the nagios install tree to the new uid gid (and restart the hosts/services)
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Post by scottwilkerson »

mcd wrote:Still investigating but I'm guessing I'm going to have to conform to the ldap id's
Will there be any problems if chown the nagios install tree to the new uid gid (and restart the hosts/services)
Yes, it's going to be a problem, there are various files and directories that need different owners and groups.

I would highly recommend setting up a test server with a default install to compare to and testing your procedures there, as we have no way to verify/validate your setup or what you are proposing as every organization needs to do.
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com
mcd

Post by mcd »

I believe the install i'm working with is a default install (more or less) but that resulted in a different local nagiosadmin than the one that is in the corp. ldap (and the gids are not the same.)

Since I can't just chown the install dir, I thought i'd have to do a new install with the ldap nagiosadmin user completely set up. I was getting the nagiosadmin home dir set up, and realized that there are likely several generic users needed ( and susquently I found out that during the orig install ldap was temporary shut off to by pass the issues this caused)

Is there a set of install instructions for an ldap enviroment (what generic users are needed, which users need home dirs)? or does the nagios master host need to remain detached from ldap (obviously that not an option for the hosts that will be monitored, will they have nagiosadmin home dir conflicts?)

Not sure where to go next, is reinstalling needed or only if it is on a completely detached host? What procedures should I be testing?
Thanks
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Post by scottwilkerson »

I'm having a hard time giving direction here because our documentation states that you need to start with a clean minimal install OS, and having LDAP with existing users that match the required users is going to cause problems.

It may be possible to get an installation working like this but it is undocumented as every organization is going to be different, and working around them is going to be the responsibility of the organization, and not supportable by us.
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com