How are RRD files created and can we change the parameters?

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
cosminro

How are RRD files created and can we change the parameters?

Post by cosminro »

From my question about a specific graph I might need I found out that Nagios XI stores performance data in RRD files.

How are those RRD files created?
Can I alter the parameters used to create the files?
Is it a problem if I recreate those files to change the parameters?

I'm monitoring bandwidth use at the router and total power consumption in the building. I'd like to store both of those for a really long time, say 10 years: power consumption graphs are seriously interesting when you can compare them season-to-season (think: summer 2020 against summer 2019). I know this would increase the size of the RRD files but it doesn't really matter: I can give Nagios as much space as it needs.
benjaminsmith

Re: How are RRD files created and can we change the paramete

Post by benjaminsmith »

Hello @cosminro,

We have a good pro tip video on this topic that I would recommend watching. The short answer: yes you can alter the parameters but it will take more space and require more resources.

Should you change RRD retention periods? [Pro Tip with Aaron]
https://youtu.be/a7skESt63Ec

Also, if you alter the templates you may lose your historical data. Highly recommend making any changes to a test server first.
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.

Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!
cosminro

Post by cosminro »

Thank you.
It's good the option is there and I'll use it if I have to. For now I'll try to keep things as close to the defaults as possible.
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Post by scottwilkerson »

cosminro wrote:Thank you.
It's good the option is there and I'll use it if I have to. For now I'll try to keep things as close to the defaults as possible.
Sounds good
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com