Hostgroup and Servicegroup do not display

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
slamck

Hostgroup and Servicegroup do not display

Post by slamck »

Hi,
I am evaluating Nagios XI. I downloaded the Nagios XI VM and got it working. I have 20 hosts with various services being monitored. I created different host groups and service groups to better organize the hosts and monitors. The individual hosts and services are displayed in the "Host Detail" and "Service Detail" view. But the host groups and service groups are not displayed in any of the hostgroup and servicegroup views. Can any one help?
Thanks,
Stephen
egalstad

Re: Hostgroup and Servicegroup do not display

Post by egalstad »

Did you happen to apply the configuration changes? You need to do so before the groups will appear in the interface.
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.
slamck

Post by slamck »

I tried re-applying the configuration and it seems to write to all config files successfully. But when I look at the Hostgroup Summary, Overview and Grid views, I only have the Host Status Summary and Service Status Summary tables. None of the individual hostgroups appears in the view. What file does Nagios XI check to generate the individual hostgroup tables?

Btw, I have six host groups created from Core Config Manager and they do appear in the hostgroups.cfg file.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
slamck

Post by slamck »

I finally got it working. It was file permission problem. This is what I ended up doing:
usermod -a -G apache nagios
usermod -a -G nagios nagios
chown nagios:nagios /usr/local/nagios/etc -R
chmod 775 /usr/local/nagios/etc -R

I ended having the file permission wide open to make it work. I'd appreciate if someone can tell me what the right file permission should be for the /usr/local/nagios/etc directory.
egalstad

Post by egalstad »

The perms you set are correct and needed - chmod 775 grants user and group read/write/execute permissions. The config manager (NagiosQL) runs as the apache user and needs write access to the configuration files and /usr/local/nagios/etc directory.
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.