Why is NagiosXI showing old service group names

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
ppresto

Why is NagiosXI showing old service group names

Post by ppresto »

I'm new to nagios xi and trying to set this up on my 32bit RedHat ES 5.5 host. I'm using nagios xi version 2009R1.2C. I installed the vmware plugin and it created a few service groups. I got things working and then went into the 'Core Config Manager' to update the service group names and members. This seemed to go well. After the changes the 'Apply Configuration' Option responded with all green checks. When I go to host or service groups I do see a red message at the bottom. "Warning: configuration file is out of date!". I have tried to re apply the configs, restart nagios, httpd. I'm not sure what to do to get my configuration happy again. Can someone please tell me where I should be looking, and if possible what steps I should take to get to a stable configuration again?

Thank you,
Patrick
ppresto

Re: Why is NagiosXI showing old service group names

Post by ppresto »

I went to /usr/local/nagiosxi/scripts and looked around. with root permissions I ran reconfigure_nagios.sh and that completed successfully. When running as the nagios user it failed to update permissions on many files which is why I reran it with root privilages. After that I found reset_config_perms.sh and ran that with root privilages in hopes of fixing any permission issues. I was still not able to run the reconfigure_nagios.sh as the nagios user without seeing permission errors. However, my error in the nagiosxi web console did go away and I now see the correct service group names with members. So my problem is resolved, but I still dont have a good feel for the root cause.

When running reconfigure_nagios.sh I see many of the following errors.
examples:
chown: changing ownership of `/usr/local/nagios/etc/timeperiods.cfg': Operation not permitted
chown: changing ownership of `/usr/local/nagios/etc/hosts/qtomavmdt121.dev.qintra.com.cfg': Operation not permitted
chown: changing ownership of `/usr/local/nagios/etc/static/xitest.cfg': Operation not permitted
chown: changing ownership of `/usr/local/nagios/etc/services/qtomavmdt121.dev.qintra.com.cfg': Operation not permitted
etc .....

Is this the way it should work? I'm not sure about setting chown apache:nagios, and chmod g+rw perms on all files under /usr/local/nagios/etc so I haven't yet.
mguthrie

Re: Why is NagiosXI showing old service group names

Post by mguthrie »

There's a set of commands that we've come up with for other permissions issues that might be of some use.

Code: Select all

chown -R nagios.nagios /usr/local/nagios/etc
find /usr/local/nagios/etc -type d -exec chmod 775 '{}' + -o \
        -type f -exec chmod 664 '{}' +