Tactial overview correct, but Service/Host detail wrong

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
m-milligan

Tactial overview correct, but Service/Host detail wrong

Post by m-milligan »

I've installed the newest stable version of Nagios XI, and I've imported my existing Nagios 3 configuration. Nagios is running, doing service checks, etc. I can log in to the GUI as nagiosadmin without error.

When I look at the Tactical Overview page, the statistics are accurate for my server and service checks. The display says there are 795 hosts checks and 2168 service checks, which is correct. Most are in Critical or Warning status, which is to be expected because I've installed Nagios XI on a test system, not my production system, and firewall rules block a lot of the service checks. That's not the problem.

If I click on the link to view unhandled host problems , I get taken to the Host Status page, which automatically has a filter applied (Filters: Host=Down,Unreachable,Not Acknowledged,Not In Downtime). The list of hosts is empty. It should show me the hundreds of hosts that Nagios XI can't reach due to firewall configuration.

If I remove the filter, the list shows only the "localhost" server, not the 795 hosts that I know are defined. The grid shows me that the data was last updated some time yesterday morning.

Curiously, if I manually enter the URL for the old status.php page (/nagiosxi/includes/components/nagioscore/ui/status.php), I do see all of my hosts and services. So, Nagios XI definitely knows they're defined. This page updates as Nagios XI runs host and service checks.

I've had no luck troubleshooting this. All of the Nagios XI components and subsystems seem to be working.

Can someone help me understand what's going on? Why doesn't the Nagios XI status page show the current data? How can I force this data to update?

Many thanks!
tactialoverview.JPG
hoststatusdown.JPG
tactialoverview.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mmestnik

Re: Tactial overview correct, but Service/Host detail wrong

Post by mmestnik »

We are aware that several of the URLs depend on the existence of an "all" hostgroup containing '*' host.
m-milligan

Post by m-milligan »

Never mind - rebooting the server appears to have solved the problem.
m_OO_m

Post by m_OO_m »

m-milligan wrote:Never mind - rebooting the server appears to have solved the problem.
Hi,

rebooting has not worked for me %) In the attached screenshot I am trying to filter Warnings from Service Summary. The Filter is loaded correctly, but the list is empty...

Any ideas?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
m-milligan

Post by m-milligan »

m_OO_m wrote:
m-milligan wrote:Never mind - rebooting the server appears to have solved the problem.
Hi,

rebooting has not worked for me %) In the attached screenshot I am trying to filter Warnings from Service Summary. The Filter is loaded correctly, but the list is empty...

Any ideas?
Do your Nagios permissions allow you to view those two hosts? Can you view details on those hosts if you search for them or navigate to them some other way?
m_OO_m

Post by m_OO_m »

m-milligan wrote:Do your Nagios permissions allow you to view those two hosts? Can you view details on those hosts if you search for them or navigate to them some other way?
I am logged in as nagiosadmin. I have checked the permissions in user settings - the checkboxes were unchecked, but the level was set to "admin". After setting the checkboxes there was no change. I can list all the "OK" and "Critical" - services from the Service Status Summary, but "Service Detail" from the menu returns an empty list. Other filters from the Status Summary dont work as well ("unhandled", "problems")
mguthrie

Post by mguthrie »

It's not just you, it appears you've found some sort of a bug. I'm messing with it now and I can get the filtered list to show up "sometimes," but then sometimes they're coming up blank. I'll see if I can find out what's causing this and I'll post the link from the bug tracker when I do.
mguthrie

Post by mguthrie »

Correction, after messing with this further, I realized it's not a bug. The Service Detail page allows you to do 2 levels of filtering. If you view filtered lists from the hosts table first, and then begin selecting filtered lists from the services table, you will get a filtered list of services based on how you filtered your hosts.

Example: select the lists of "down" hosts from the Host Summary table. Now select the "critical" services from the Service Summary table. This will only give you a list of critical services from the hosts that are also "down."

If you want to view all services by OK, warning, critical, etc, select the service filters upon a fresh load of the Service Detail page.
m_OO_m

Post by m_OO_m »

It seems to me, that this behaviour depends on if there is an unhandled (or warning - I am not sure) problem. As long as there is one, filtering doesnot work. Hier are some samples.

So it IS a bug...
mguthrie

Post by mguthrie »

Yeah, I think you may be right, I'm going to put it up on the bug tracker and we'll see if we can find the source of the problem.