Tactial overview correct, but Service/Host detail wrong

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
mguthrie

Re: Tactial overview correct, but Service/Host detail wrong

Post by mguthrie »

So far I'm not able to reproduce what you're experiencing. Can you tell me step by step what you're doing to produce the output that you've sent in the images?
m_OO_m

Post by m_OO_m »

I have just tried to reproduce the same effect on the demo system, but it worked. I cannot tell you, where the difference is. We have installed XI three or four times, importing the configuration in the system after every new install, but we still have this problem... I'll try to find out the reason.
mguthrie

Post by mguthrie »

Ok.

If you're able to outline the step you're taking to get the results in those screenshots (on the system you're having trouble with), we'll keep working on recreating the problem on this end. Someone in our customer forum is having some unpredictable results with this as well, but we haven't identified the cause yet.
mguthrie

Post by mguthrie »

Ok, so I'm not sure what I did, but I am seeing the same issue on my demo machine now. Still haven't identified the cause, but we'll try and get this figured out ASAP.
mguthrie

Post by mguthrie »

Not sure if it's the same problem, but try this. Go to your Admin page, and under the "XI System Components" dashlet, check and see if the Monitoring Engine is showing a red indicator. If it is, choose the start action and see if that fixes the problem.
m_OO_m

Post by m_OO_m »

The monitoring engine was running ok.

I downloaded a VM-Image and started from the very beginning, importing the configuration using mysqldump (our former approach was to copy cfg files and import them into nagiosql). This seems to have worked - the filters are still working...

I could compare the "old" and the "new" install with KDiff to find out, what differs... if it might help to find the reason.
mguthrie

Post by mguthrie »

If you'd be willing to do that and help us figure this, that'd be awesome. We also have someone in our customer forum having the same issue, and we've been trying to resolve and find the source of this issue for a couple of days now. Because we can't consistently reproduce it yet, it's been difficult to locate the cause.
mguthrie

Post by mguthrie »

We did find the cause of this problem today, but we have to make a code fix for it, which probably won't happen until Monday. This appears to be caused by a check that's returning bad character data that's outside of the UTF-8 encoding. Nagios core can display the information properly, but it breaks the XML generation that XI uses for it's tables. We'll post the fix as soon as we have it.
hansdampf

Post by hansdampf »

mguthrie wrote:We'll post the fix as soon as we have it.
Is there any progress? Because I have the same problem. My "Service Status" page is still empty. I can´t list all unhandled problems. I want to demo this system in a few days to our CEO. When will this fix be availible?

And you are absolutely right. After I changed a plugin to output the printer-warnings without characters like () {} all tables were correctly displayed.
mguthrie

Post by mguthrie »

Yes we have the fix. I posted it in the other forum but I must have forgotten to post it here. This is the code patch you can apply to fix this issue. It should be also be included in the newest release of XI (20091.3F).

http://support.nagios.com/wiki/index.ph ... No_Results