Host Ping vs Ping Service Check

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
Box293
Too Basu

Host Ping vs Ping Service Check

Post by Box293 »

With the default Configuration Wizards provided with Nagios XI, the host always gets a ping check.

This is via a template applied to the host.

What is the difference between a ping check defined on a host vs a ping check service?

What's the point of having the service check?
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.
tonyyarusso

Re: Host Ping vs Ping Service Check

Post by tonyyarusso »

I'm not sure that there actually is one, but it is possible to use any command as the host check, so my guess is it's just to allow people that flexibility easily without then having to also add a ping service.
Tony Yarusso
Technical Services
___
TIES
Web: http://ties.k12.mn.us/
mmestnik

Post by mmestnik »

The host checks are only run when there is an issue. If you want graphs of your latency to each server, then this is the way.

Host checks determine "reach-ability", after you specify parent child relationships. Unreachable and down are two distinguishable host conditions that would be a selling point of Nagios... If it didn't already just sell itself ;)
Box293
Too Basu

Post by Box293 »

OK I think I understand that, let me re-iterate to make sure I'm getting it.

The use of ping on the host is how the check determines the reach-ability of the host.

The check doesn't need to be a ping, the check could be anything as long as it returns the correct values as per Nagios requirements.

By using ping on the host, it serves a dual purpose for graphing round trip times and packet loss.
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.
mmestnik

Post by mmestnik »

100%