Cacti integration after Nagios 2009R1.1 release

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
prodigynwp

Cacti integration after Nagios 2009R1.1 release

Post by prodigynwp »

As of Nagios 2009R1.1 release, Cacti is no longer pre-configured on the XI virtual machine. Does anyone have any suggestions / instructions to install this feature and set it up so it will integrate with nagiosxi?
mmestnik

Re: Cacti integration after Nagios 2009R1.1 release

Post by mmestnik »

This is fixed in latter releases, just upgrade.
mmestnik

Post by mmestnik »

We use pnp and not Cacti. :)
osiadmin

Post by osiadmin »

Is there documentation on getting the Cacti or pnp to work with nagiosxi that I could be directed to. I seem to be at a dead end.
mmestnik

Post by mmestnik »

The graphing should work after the install, what are you having trouble with?
osiadmin

Post by osiadmin »

There is a video on changing the Cacti password in the videos, but I don't see Cacti on my system. Do I need to load that from the command line and configure it to work with the GUI? I have the graphs displayed for pings but do not have the bandwidth functionality that I think the Cacti will provide. Are there good links for configuration guides for XI, I am not advancing very fast through the configuration. I am on 1.1F and the final piece is the bandwidth graphing.
mmestnik

Post by mmestnik »

Cacti has been removed from recent VMware images of Nagios XI due to overlapping feature set with XI and the integrated performance graphs. Installing Cacti isn't too difficult if you want it - just Google "cacti install centos" and you'll find some tutorials.
osiadmin

Post by osiadmin »

The overlapping functionality I guess is pnp. How does each device or port need to be setup to get the bandwidth graphing? Is the pnp setup through the GUI?
mmestnik

Post by mmestnik »

I'm not sure of the feature support of pnp. However I can tell you that it's popular to use Cacti or MRTG to do bandwidth graphing.

Bandwidth graphing is not as simple as statistical(Gauge) graphing. To account for bandwidth you measure the change in an ever increasing value over time, with the graphing most common to NagiosXI you plot the values as they are presented.