how can I group monitors and apply different timeperiods

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
ppresto

how can I group monitors and apply different timeperiods

Post by ppresto »

I'm evaluationg nagiosXI and want to know the best way to implement it so I don't have a lot of service maint work. To minimize services creation I have built different types of service monitors and targeted them to host groups instead of hosts. They inherit default templates and are pretty generic with most other things left blank. I can add a new windows or linux server to the correct group and automatically get my critical services monitored so this is working well.

I'm having a problem figuring out the best way to manage different time periods, and service check/alert configs. Is there a way using some type of inheritance or grouping that I can control these values on a per host basis and not per service basis? I dont want to have to create new services for every host that has a different maintenance schedule, or wants a different group notified. I tried setting up a host to use a time period and different intervals and this will only control the ping check associated with the host and not all the other services.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
mmestnik

Re: how can I group monitors and apply different timeperiods

Post by mmestnik »

You shouldn't be using check times for maintenance scheduling, but then I wonder what they are for?

The answer your question, you would create a time period for each host. So you have several time periods that are all identical.

The better answer to your question is scheduled down-times, it's a feature that should debut in the next release. ;)
With a down time you start monitoring as soon as the server is back up and not when some time period elapses. The downtime scheduler keeps track of down-times that should be automatically (re)created.
Box293
Too Basu

Post by Box293 »

Additionaly, templates may help you here.

You can assign multiple templates to the one service. As each template is read from the bottom of the list up the settings from each template combine together.

This means you can have multiple templates configured with different check intervals and then assign them to the appropriate services. Then down the track you can change the setting on the template and that will affect all services using the template.

A template must be applied to a service and the inherritance settings need to be correct for them to apply.

Click the help ? next to + null standard for a more detail about inheritance. These "+ null standard" are the key to making the template inherritance work.

This requires you to not define the check interval on each service you apply the template to.

Does this make sense?
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.
ppresto

Post by ppresto »

Thanks for the responses.

I tried playing with time periods and I setup my check and notifiy periods to use my custom time period. I believe this disables notifications and checks for the host and not all the services that get targeted to the host via the hostgroup. I'm not sure if scheduled downtimes stop monitoring for all services targeted to a host, but if they do that is definitely going to resolve my issue. I will keep my eyes open for the next release.

I am using inheritance with templates, but I dont think this will resolve my issue with certain clusters of hosts needing slightly different notifications and maint windows.

Thanks