Network Status Maps -Dependencies not displayed

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
fkroeger

Network Status Maps -Dependencies not displayed

Post by fkroeger »

I have setup several hosts and set the dependencies via the Core Config Manager. The hostdependencies.cfg appears to update OK - (attached below).
However, when I select the Network Status Map, the dependencies are not displayed. They are all shown as coming from the root of Nagios.
Is there something else I need to do to display these Parent/Child relationships?

regards... Fred

Code: Select all

define hostdependency {
       dependent_host_name               hostb
       host_name                                hosta
       inherits_parent                          1
}

define hostdependency {
       dependent_host_name               hostc
       host_name                                hostb
}

define hostdependency {
       dependent_host_name               hostd
       host_name                                hostc
}
admin
Site Admin

Re: Network Status Maps -Dependencies not displayed

Post by admin »

Hi Fred -

Dependencies aren't what you're looking for to accomplish this. What you need to do is this...

When you're editing a host in the Nagios Core Config Manager (NagiosQL), specify the parent host in the "Parents" field. The parent relationship is what determines how hosts are "connected" to each other, and this will be reflected in the network status map when you apply the configuration.
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.

Ethan Galstad
President
fkroeger

Re: Network Status Maps -Dependencies not displayed

Post by fkroeger »

Resolved - thanks - that fixed the dependancy issue.
I saw the Host Dependency tab in the Advanced section of Core Config Manager and thought this was a great way to setup all the dependecies : ie: if I setup a hostgroup as being dependent on a particular host, then I thought that just by adding another host to that hostgroup would setup the dependency - maybe I was tryign to be too clever!
So what do I achieve then by using this Host or Service dependency in the advanced section?

Regards... Fred