4.4.1 core: huge retention.dat and other files

An open discussion forum for obtaining help with Nagios Core. Nagios Core users of all experience levels are welcome here. Subforum have been created for the discussion of Nagios Core and Nagios Plugin development.

NOTE: The SourceForge.net mailing lists have been deprecated in favor of this forum in order to expedite support and provide additional features not available on the old mailing list.

4.4.1 core: huge retention.dat and other files

Postby mksmr » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:57 am

Good afternoon all,

I'm running 4.4.1 core on Devuan 2.0 ASCII (this time on a HP DL380 Gen6, 4 cores, 32Gig RAM, so plenty of power for Nagios in our environment).

This afternoon I noticed Nagios slowing dramatically down for no apparent reason, with the main process going up to 100% on one core and serving status.cgi up to 100% on another, which made more and more processes time out. Restarting Nagios and Apache didn't help.

The CPU graph shows that load has been going up from normal to a sharp spike within three hours.

I finally checked /usr/local/nagios/var and found retention.dat being 2.8G, and a number of nagios.tmp<xxx> files from 500M to about 5G in size. I removed them, restarted Nagios and it came back up as smooth as I'm used to it.

I've been running a dozen of Nagios installations now and I've never seen such big files in var, especially I don't think I've ever seen temporary files, let alone files of about 5G in size. Any ideas what's been happening there?

TIA
Matthias
Hulluna humpasta taas
Minä olen hulluna humpasta taas
Minen toivu koskaan, luotan voimaan votkan
Hulluna humpasta taas
mksmr

Re: 4.4.1 core: huge retention.dat and other files

Postby scottwilkerson » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:48 pm

I believe what you are experiencing was fixed in 4.4.2 from this entry, which caused the retention.dat file to balloon
Code: Select all
* Fix comment data being duplicated after a `service nagios reload` or similar (#549) (Bryan Heden)
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Postby mksmr » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:47 am

Is there a workaround or should I update?
Hulluna humpasta taas
Minä olen hulluna humpasta taas
Minen toivu koskaan, luotan voimaan votkan
Hulluna humpasta taas
mksmr

Postby scottwilkerson » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:59 am

mksmr wrote:Is there a workaround or should I update?

You would need to upgrade.
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Return to Nagios Core