Mail Notification

An open discussion forum for obtaining help with Nagios Core. Nagios Core users of all experience levels are welcome here. Subforum have been created for the discussion of Nagios Core and Nagios Plugin development.

NOTE: The SourceForge.net mailing lists have been deprecated in favor of this forum in order to expedite support and provide additional features not available on the old mailing list.

Mail Notification

Postby orani » Fri May 24, 2019 8:35 pm

Hello,

i have mail notification enabled at my nagios server. The last few hours i am receiving too many mails for problems from past days (i.e. 4 or 18 of May)

Can i check if the are queued mails somewhere?

Is there any other suggestions?
orani

Re: Mail Notification

Postby dwhitfield » Mon May 27, 2019 12:54 pm

What MTA are you using? If you are using postfix or sendmail, if you do a web search for 'mail queue' without the quotes then you will see results.

I have not kept up with the newest features, so someone from support can correct me, but I do not believe Nagios itself does any actual queuing.
dwhitfield
Former Nagios Staff

Postby orani » Tue May 28, 2019 1:05 am

I am using mail agent but i dont see any queues at linux.
orani

Postby dwhitfield » Tue May 28, 2019 8:05 am

I see you posted on the 24th (my time). Are you still getting too many emails?
dwhitfield
Former Nagios Staff

Postby orani » Tue May 28, 2019 8:30 am

No... now i receive mails as normal but when i first posted and also some days before that there was two bursts of 5K-6K mails in a few minutes.
orani

Postby jomann » Tue May 28, 2019 2:12 pm

Hello orani,

You may want to check out the notification_interval for hosts/services in the object defitions (https://assets.nagios.com/downloads/nag ... ml#service) and verify that you are not having it re-send emails rapidly.

As for the queue issue, as @dwhitfield mentioned, it depends on if you're using postfix or sendmail. He is correct that we do not do any mail queuing we just send it off with the mail function to get mailed.
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.
jomann
Development Lead

Postby orani » Wed May 29, 2019 7:35 am

I have notification interval set to 0. The problem was that the warning and critical threshold of some service checks was set at the point of real working threshold, so it was changing form ok to warning too often.

So now it is ok.
orani

Postby scottwilkerson » Wed May 29, 2019 12:09 pm

orani wrote:So now it is ok.

Great!

Glad to hear it is resolved.

Locking thread
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Return to Nagios Core