Disable Notifications for New Hosts Until State Change

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
mr_samuel

Disable Notifications for New Hosts Until State Change

Post by mr_samuel »

I have a rather large environment that I monitor so I've automated my Nagios server to be updated and re-compiled daily to pickup new host changes in our DNS. It works very well; however, any new DNS entries for new devices that are not yet plugged into the network (actively pinging) send "host down" alerts, for obvious reasons.

I'm trying to think of a way to disable notifications on new hosts until they change to an "up" state. So then Nagios could still update daily, add those new hosts, but stay silent until there's a state change. I wouldn't mind even getting an alert saying a host has come online, it's just the initial host down alert I'm trying to do away with.

If anyone has done something like this and can share your experience that would help me out a lot.

Thx!
gormank

Re: Disable Notifications for New Hosts Until State Change

Post by gormank »

You might add a step to not add hosts until they're reachable, or add them as inactive and only activate them until reachable. Or, you might want to create a file with a list of unreachable hosts that are waiting to be added so you don't lose track of them.