Monitoring DELL PowerConnect 3348 Switch

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
NagiosNewbis

Monitoring DELL PowerConnect 3348 Switch

Post by NagiosNewbis »

Hello all Nagios experts,

I am very new in Nagios and recently, I configure my Nagios Core server to monitor a DELL PowerConnect 3348 switch which is a 48 ports switch plus two Gigabit port. I am using Gigabit port 1 G1 and Gigabit port 2 G2 as my LAG interface. I want to monitor these two particular port but how can I know what is the port number of them.

When I use ./check_snmp -C public -H <switch_ip> -o ifOperStatus.50 -r 1 -m RFC1213-MIB, I can see the response SNMP OK - up(1)

However; how can I verify this port 50 is the G2 which I want to monitor?

Also, if I got this response, what does it mean?

SNMP CRITICAL - *6* | RFC1213-MIB::ifOperStatus.51=6

thx!
sreinhardt
-fno-stack-protector

Re: Monitoring DELL PowerConnect 3348 Switch

Post by sreinhardt »

If this is a 50 port switch and you are monitoring port 51, often times this is the cpu not an actual port, so 6 may not be entirely unexpected. The easiest way to verify that this is the port you wish to monitor is via snmpwalks. You can use a windows tool like snmpB to look at "mib Tree.ISO.org.dod.internet.mgmt.mib-2.interfaces" right click on this mib and select walk. From here you can see on the right various if(interface) trees matching information for your device.

The ifIndex.(number) will show what dot reference is for what actual port, if it does not start a 1 like normal.
The ifDescr.(number) will show what description that port is, ie 100MB/1 gigabit/CPU.
ifOperStatus.(number) references the current up or down status although does not generally differentiate between admin down and nothing connected.
ifAdminStatus.(number) should show whether a port is admin down or up.

All of this can also be done via snmpwalk on a linux machine.
Nagios-Plugins maintainer exclusively, unless you have other C language bugs with open-source nagios projects, then I am happy to help! Please pm or use other communication to alert me to issues as I no longer track the forum.
NagiosNewbis

Post by NagiosNewbis »

Hi Sreinhardt;

thanks for your hint.

After using snmpwalk to look at the info of my switch, I found the following speed information, I believed; port 49 and port 50 are two Gigabit ports in my DELL PowerConnect 3348 switch.

IF-MIB::ifSpeed.47 = Gauge32: 100000000
IF-MIB::ifSpeed.48 = Gauge32: 100000000
IF-MIB::ifSpeed.49 = Gauge32: 1000000000
IF-MIB::ifSpeed.50 = Gauge32: 1000000000

I found that port 47 and port 48 is using 100/Mbps port and 49, 50 are 1000/Mbps port.
sreinhardt
-fno-stack-protector

Post by sreinhardt »

I would completely agree with you! Are there any other issues you are experiencing?
Nagios-Plugins maintainer exclusively, unless you have other C language bugs with open-source nagios projects, then I am happy to help! Please pm or use other communication to alert me to issues as I no longer track the forum.
NagiosNewbis

Post by NagiosNewbis »

Not at all, thanks your help. I am very new in Nagios configuration, I need spend time on configuration and digging into it.
slansing

Post by slansing »

Great let us know if you need help!
nagios_777

Post by nagios_777 »

Good Day to All experts here,

I am trying to use the same plugin check_dell_powerconnect
http://exchange.nagios.org/directory/Pl ... es/details

It works perfectly fine if I run it from command line from my nagios server.
I can not figure out how to add it to commands.cfg / nrpe.cfg on my nagios server.
I did installed nagios few times , but do not have much experience with custom plugins.
Yes, I tried to search , but could not find the clear answer.

From my nagios server I can run : /usr/lib64/nagios/plugins/check_dell_powerconnect.pl -H host -C community
Reply would be like that : PowerConnect 5548P: OK, fan1_unit1 normal, fan2_unit1 normal, ps1_unit1 normal

I would like to add to regular tests and get notifications in case of trouble.
Can somebody help me with that ?

Thanks in advance.
abrist
Red Shirt

Post by abrist »

That is a whole lot to ask about. Read the documentation below to brush up on nagios core:
http://library.nagios.com/library/produ ... e/manuals/
Refine your question a bit more and post a new thread. Cheers.
Former Nagios employee
"It is turtles. All. The. Way. Down. . . .and maybe an elephant or two."
VI VI VI - The editor of the Beast!
Come to the Dark Side.