unable to start Nagios service

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
gaborkiss

unable to start Nagios service

Post by gaborkiss »

I am a newbie to nagios. I had an experience which is maybe a little relevant, and is certainly strange. I was trying to define a new service using check_mssql_server and everything seemed to be OK, I was able to re-start my nagios server using /etc/rc.d/init.d/nagios restart. However when I checked the Services page, the new service was not there.

I finally did something which shouldn't make a difference but somehow it did. I issued the stop and start commands seperately, first
/etc/rc.d/init.d/nagios stop and then /etc/rc.d/init.d/nagios start.

Then my new service popped up as PENDING, and a few minutes later went to OK. Weird !!!

Gabor
lmiltchev
Former Nagios Staff

Re: unable to start Nagios service

Post by lmiltchev »

Did you forget to apply configuration?
Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!
gaborkiss

Post by gaborkiss »

"apply configuration"? I don't know what that is. I looked and I see it mentioned for Nagios XI but I have Nagios Core. I don't see such a button on the GUI and I don't know about a CLI utility. Could you guide me to it?

Thanks
lmiltchev
Former Nagios Staff

Post by lmiltchev »

You posted on the General Support->Nagios XI support forum. If you have a Nagios Core question, you need to post on the Nagios Core forum. I split the topic and moved it to the Core forum.
Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!