Check_snmp not working on ASA

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
immadmacs

Check_snmp not working on ASA

Post by immadmacs »

I have migrated a previous Nagios installation to a new Ubuntu 12.04 server. I have almost every device working.. My Cisco ASA firewall is not responding to snmp_check commands. When I run /check_snmp -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -C public -o sysUpTimeInstance I get the error:
External command error: Did not find 'zeroDotZero' in module SNMPv2-SMI (/usr/share/mibs/ietf/DIFFSERV-MIB)
Undefined OBJECT-GROUP (diffServMIBMultiFieldClfrGroup): At line 2195 in /usr/share/mibs/ietf/IPSEC-SPD-MIB
Undefined OBJECT-GROUP (diffServMultiFieldClfrNextFree): At line 2157 in /usr/share/mibs/ietf/IPSEC-SPD-MIB
Undefined OBJECT-GROUP (diffServMIBMultiFieldClfrGroup): At line 2062 in /usr/share/mibs/ietf/IPSEC-SPD-MIB
Did not find 'zeroDotZero' in module SNMPv2-SMI (/usr/share/mibs/ietf/MPLS-LSR-STD-MIB)
Unlinked OID in IPATM-IPMC-MIB: marsMIB ::= { mib-2 57 }
Undefined identifier: mib-2 near line 18 of /usr/share/mibs/ietf/IPATM-IPMC-MIB
Did not find 'zeroDotZero' in module SNMPv2-SMI (/usr/share/mibs/ietf/DOCS-CABLE-DEVICE-MIB)
Did not find 'zeroDotZero' in module SNMPv2-SMI (/usr/share/mibs/ietf/IP-MIB)
Did not find 'zeroDotZero' in module SNMPv2-SMI (/usr/share/mibs/ietf/DISMAN-EVENT-MIB)
Did not find 'zeroDotZero' in module SNMPv2-SMI (/usr/share/mibs/ietf/ALARM-MIB)
Did not find 'zeroDotZero' in module SNMPv2-SMI (/usr/share/mibs/ietf/DIFFSERV-CONFIG-MIB)
Bad operator (INTEGER): At line 73 in /usr/share/mibs/ietf/SNMPv2-PDU
Did not find 'zeroDotZero' in module SNMPv2-SMI (/usr/share/mibs/ietf/GMPLS-LSR-STD-MIB)
Did not find 'zeroDotZero' in module SNMPv2-SMI (/usr/share/mibs/ietf/MPLS-TE-STD-MIB)
Did not find 'zeroDotZero' in module SNMPv2-SMI (/usr/share/mibs/ietf/GMPLS-TE-STD-MIB)
Did not find 'zeroDotZero' in module SNMPv2-SMI (/usr/share/mibs/ietf/DISMAN-SCHEDULE-MIB)
Did not find 'zeroDotZero' in module SNMPv2-SMI (/usr/share/mibs/ietf/DISMAN-EXPRESSION-MIB)
Did not find 'zeroDotZero' in module SNMPv2-SMI (/usr/share/mibs/ietf/APPLICATION-MIB)
Expected "::=" (RFC5644): At line 493 in /usr/share/mibs/iana/IANA-IPPM-METRICS-REGISTRY-MIB
Expected "{" (EOF): At line 651 in /usr/share/mibs/iana/IANA-IPPM-METRICS-REGISTRY-MIB
Bad object identifier: At line 651 in /usr/share/mibs/iana/IANA-IPPM-METRICS-REGISTRY-MIB
Bad parse of OBJECT-IDENTITY: At line 651 in /usr/share/mibs/iana/IANA-IPPM-METRICS-REGISTRY-MIB
Timeout: No Response from 172.xxx.xxx.xxx:161.

I'm not sure where to go from here. I'm so close, I don't want to reload everything to get this one device to report correctly. Direction?
sreinhardt
-fno-stack-protector

Re: Check_snmp not working on ASA

Post by sreinhardt »

have you copied over your mibs and installed them properly? There certainly shouldn't be any need to reload everything, its just a mib issue or so it appears to be.
Nagios-Plugins maintainer exclusively, unless you have other C language bugs with open-source nagios projects, then I am happy to help! Please pm or use other communication to alert me to issues as I no longer track the forum.
immadmacs

Post by immadmacs »

Well I thought I installed them correctly. It wasn't working and I ran:
$ sudo apt-get install snmp-mibs-downloader
$ sudo download-mibs
$ sudo sed -i 's/^mibs/#mibs/g' /etc/snmp/snmp.conf

I also commented out the last line in the snmp.conf file:
#
# As the snmp packages come without MIB files due to license reasons, loading
# of MIBs is disabled by default. If you added the MIBs you can reenable
# loaging them by commenting out the following line.
# mibs :

Everything was working but the ASA. I edited the SNMPv2-SMI.my and got rid of the zeroDotZero erros. Now I'm getting:
External command error: Unlinked OID in IPATM-IPMC-MIB: marsMIB ::= { mib-2 57 }
Undefined identifier: mib-2 near line 18 of /usr/share/mibs/ietf/IPATM-IPMC-MIB
Bad operator (INTEGER): At line 73 in /usr/share/mibs/ietf/SNMPv2-PDU
Expected "::=" (RFC5644): At line 493 in /usr/share/mibs/iana/IANA-IPPM-METRICS-REGISTRY-MIB
Expected "{" (EOF): At line 651 in /usr/share/mibs/iana/IANA-IPPM-METRICS-REGISTRY-MIB
Bad object identifier: At line 651 in /usr/share/mibs/iana/IANA-IPPM-METRICS-REGISTRY-MIB
Bad parse of OBJECT-IDENTITY: At line 651 in /usr/share/mibs/iana/IANA-IPPM-METRICS-REGISTRY-MIB
Timeout: No Response from 172.xxx.xxx.xxx:161.
sreinhardt
-fno-stack-protector

Post by sreinhardt »

OK, I can't say that removing that part of the mib has actually resolved anything. More than likely the other mibs are dependent or at least prefer to reference the shortnames from snmpv2-smi. Let's test your snmp connection on that device, as it seems that you are unable to actually connect to the remote asa also.

nmap -sU -p 161 [IP of ASA]

If you get a filtered or closed returned, you need to modify settings on the ASA, if you receive an open it should be purely issues with snmp mibs.
Nagios-Plugins maintainer exclusively, unless you have other C language bugs with open-source nagios projects, then I am happy to help! Please pm or use other communication to alert me to issues as I no longer track the forum.