freshness checks configuration

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
srtravis

freshness checks configuration

Post by srtravis »

Hi everyone, first time on the boards but I have been using Nagios for a long time now and love the project.

I am currently using SNMPTT to get snmp traps from a specific application when it has issues and the application is configured to resend the snmp trap once a minute while it is in an error state. When the error state clears it sends a single recovery snmp trap but this occasionally does not make it through, either the network or just slightly out of order with one of the error snmp traps and the service does not recover in the eyes of nagios. To correct this I added a freshness check on a 10 minute interval, since the program sends an snmp trap once a minute while in a down state it wont correct while it is still down, each trap resets the timer, and if it misses the recovery trap it will only stay in the critical state for ~10 minutes.

Nagios makes an entry in the logs for every freshness check, and this is making my log files pretty large which makes generating reports pretty slow.

Is there a way to make Nagios only run freshness checks if the service is in a down state or prevent if from logging the freshness checks unless that check resulted in a state change?

Thanks,
Travis
jsmurphy

Re: freshness checks configuration

Post by jsmurphy »

Ohhh how I wish you could, I'd love to be wrong about this. But unfortunately I don't think there's currently a way to turn it off.
srtravis

Post by srtravis »

That is what I thought but I figured I would ask and hope there was something I missed. Thanks for the response jsmurphy.
abrist
Red Shirt

Post by abrist »

This would be a core feature request (most likely a config option in nagios.cfg). I suggest you drop the hint at: tracker.nagios.org
Former Nagios employee
"It is turtles. All. The. Way. Down. . . .and maybe an elephant or two."
VI VI VI - The editor of the Beast!
Come to the Dark Side.