Help implementing VSHELL

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
burn5y

Help implementing VSHELL

Post by burn5y »

Hi,

Hope you can help, I am a Linux newbie and have manged to get Nagios Core working on Ubuntu 10.10. I would like to install VSHELL but am struggling. So far i have performed the commands below:

downloaded vshell

tar zxf vshell.tar.gz
cd vshell
mkdir /usr/local/vshell
cp -r * /usr/local/vshell

I am now struggling with the next step: To set up your apache configuration, modify the contents of the vshell.conf file to match the directory structure of your distribution and
your installation of Nagios.
Use a text editor to modify this file as needed, then copy this file to the same directory as your nagios.conf
file.

I can modify the vshell.conf file but im not entriely sure Im doing it right, I have now edited and copied the file to the directory where nagios.conf is but when i navigate to localhost/vshell i get a 404 cannot find.

Please help, I think all I need to a better break down of the step above and what my vshell.conf file should look like? Hope you can help!

UPDATE: I am now getting a page saying: "Vshell Access Denied: Please log into Nagios Core.Access Denied" when navigating to http://localhost/vshell.

Here is my vshell.conf file:

#modify this file to fit your apache configuration

Alias /vshell "/usr/local/vshell"
#Alias /nagios /usr/local/nagios/share

#/etc/apache2
<Directory "/usr/local/nagios/share">
# SSLRequireSSL
# Options None
# AllowOverride None
# Order allow,deny
# Allow from all
# Allow from 127.0.0.1

Options None
AllowOverride None
Order allow,deny
Allow from all

#use the below lines for Nagios XI
# AuthName "Nagios Monitor XI"
# AuthType Basic
# AuthUserFile /usr/local/nagiosxi/etc/htpasswd.users

#Use the below lines for a typical Nagios Core installation
AuthName "Nagios Access"
AuthType Basic
AuthUserFile /usr/local/nagios/etc/htpasswd.users
Require valid-user
</Directory>

Thanks!
burn5y

Re: Help implementing VSHELL

Post by burn5y »

Dont worry I've now fixed this by uncommenting a section of index.php. But i am still getting the access denied showing but it appears behind the V Shell logo??? Any ideas on how to remove this?
mguthrie

Re: Help implementing VSHELL

Post by mguthrie »

Be sure to comment out the check_auth() function as well. I'm guessing that you're getting the error message from that function. I'm probably going to change that part entirely for the next release, because it sounds like a lot of people are using something other than basic authentication.