Notify when a message did not occur

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
buckley

Notify when a message did not occur

Post by buckley »

I've been using nagios for a few days so am not experienced at all and suspect I am missing something.

In Nagios it is easy to check that a logmessage happend in the last 48 hours and sound alarm.

But how can I configure Nagios that it should sound alarm when a message did not occur in the last 48 hours?

I'm using the "Check WMI Plus" plugin (no agent required) to check the event log on a windows box.

Thanks for helping me out
slansing

Re: Notify when a message did not occur

Post by slansing »

Are you asking to be notified if an alert did not occur? Not sure if I understand, so you want to be notified if no problems occur? The plugin's website may have some tips on plugin specific settings, though it sounds like you are more interested in what I outlined:

http://www.edcint.co.nz/checkwmiplus/
buckley

Post by buckley »

"so you want to be notified if no problems occur?"

Specifically I want to monitor a backup process. Not only do I want to be notified when the backup fails but if it is still running. For this to work I also log if the process successfully finishes. If I don't see the success message then I know the process isn't running anymore. (I think this is called a "heartbeat" signal).

There are numerous reasons why a job doesn't run, the most obvious is that it has been disabled by another user (duh).

I hope you understand me a bit better now?

"though it sounds like you are more interested in what I outlined:"

Your link refers to the general page of WMI Plus it seems
sreinhardt
-fno-stack-protector

Post by sreinhardt »

I think we understand what you are looking for. Could you provide an example of the command you are presently using, and we can work to modify it to fit the other need? Obviously feel free to strip out sensitive information such as passwords and internal names\IPs.
Nagios-Plugins maintainer exclusively, unless you have other C language bugs with open-source nagios projects, then I am happy to help! Please pm or use other communication to alert me to issues as I no longer track the forum.