IE8 hangs up and stops refreshing Nagios Core information

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
xxxlun4icexxx

IE8 hangs up and stops refreshing Nagios Core information

Post by xxxlun4icexxx »

Hello all,

Quick question that I would like to pick your brain about;

Our company uses Nagios Core to alert us of equipment/router issues. It is displayed 24/7 in a network center, but for a while now we have been facing the following. The page stops auto-refreshing and just freezes. This was on Internet Explorer 8 on Windows XP. Has any one had this issue before? We have tried changing security settings, reverting all settings back to default, and have even re-installed the OS. However, the same problem keeps coming back. It usually takes a day or so for this to happen. Once we close out the browser and open it back up, it generally will work for 12-18 hours before happening again.

Our final effort was to install Windows 7 and try internet explorer 9. Currently, it is actually working with this solution, and not freezing. However, I have noticed that the RAM usage of the machine is slowly climbing up and up day-by-day. I am afraid that once it consumes all of the system's limited resources, we will have a similar issue. I cannot find the refresh code on the page's source. Does any one have any ideas or suggestions as to check and make sure there is no memory leak? All I have been doing up until now is checking how much Ram the IE process is using, and day-by-day it climbs. First 20,000k MB, then 40,000, 60,000, and now 120,000.

Please let me know if any one has any ideas.

Thank you,
abrist
Red Shirt

Re: IE8 hangs up and stops refreshing Nagios Core informatio

Post by abrist »

IE 8 has some notorious problems, and has been getting worse as of late. Most issues with jquery and other bits of javascript. Apologies. Any errors in the JS Console/developer tools?
Former Nagios employee
"It is turtles. All. The. Way. Down. . . .and maybe an elephant or two."
VI VI VI - The editor of the Beast!
Come to the Dark Side.
xxxlun4icexxx

Post by xxxlun4icexxx »

Abrist,

I do not see any errors in the JS. I do not see the auto-refresh code in the source either.

However, we are not on IE8. We have upgrade to Windows 7 with IE9. Even so, we are still having an issue with memory gradually being consumed. last week we were at around 50% of the RAM total and now this IE session has utilized about 20% more RAM. Nagios is up 24/7 on a projector screen so I would rather not have to reboot this every week. Can you think of any reason as to why this session of IE is eating up RAM gradually over time? It's like something is not being recycled.
slansing

Post by slansing »

What pages are you displaying in that browser session?
xxxlun4icexxx

Post by xxxlun4icexxx »

Abrist,

I am displaying the "General - Home" page where network equipment with issues displays itself. Displays "host", "Service", "Status", etc.
slansing

Post by slansing »

What version of Core are you using? Do you have any "non out of the box" additions made to it? We may be able to hunt down some sort of memory leak.
xxxlun4icexxx

Post by xxxlun4icexxx »

Slansing,

I am using Nagios Core V 3.2.

I do not believe that there are any additional add-ons. For now, I have made my own page format where I will just refresh the actual page every hour to recycle the resources which the CGI script doesn't seem to be doing. CGI script will update server info every 30 seconds but my script will refresh the browser every hour or so.

At this point it may be easiest just to do this because I'd have to go hunting down people in other departments to see which server is hosting the information. Any additional suggestions is appreciated =).

P.S.: Another reason that I have tried to take a quicker fix is because the internet explorer session grew to about 232 MB (substantially larger than the 50k it started at), however system resources are at 2.7GB RAM usage. The pc is literally only displaying 2 web browsers. But obviously 232MB is only a small chunk of 2.7GB. The processes in task manager dont even add up to more than 500MB. Somewhere there is a runaway script, and whether or not it has to do with Nagios I'm not sure of yet.

thanks,
Dan
sreinhardt
-fno-stack-protector

Post by sreinhardt »

I just went through the changelogs for 3.2.0 to current (3.5.0) and found nothing regarding IE issues. That isn't to say its not an undiscovered issue. I would venture to guess more than likely it is a difference in how IE updates instead of adding new variables as nagios shows data. Your refresh idea sounds like a pretty good solution if it is a big issue to update that machine to IE9 or patching IE8. If you think this is a bug, you can and would be encouraged to post on tracker.nagios.org
Nagios-Plugins maintainer exclusively, unless you have other C language bugs with open-source nagios projects, then I am happy to help! Please pm or use other communication to alert me to issues as I no longer track the forum.