My first ever passive check

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
smashytech

My first ever passive check

Post by smashytech »

Hello hello!

This is, as stated, my first ever passive check.
I need a kick in the right direction.
My nagios server is working fine for active checks, directly connected on the same net, or with VPNs.
However when i try to activate passive checks i cant get it to work, and im trying to figure out what i need to do to get it working. The servers I want to look at is located on a remote location and behind a firewall.
I have tried to read the documentation over and over, but i still feel like im mentally retarded....So i need someone to guide me, or maybe even a template? :)
I'd even go so far that my company could compensate for the time helping me, not a guarantee though ;)

What I have done is:
- Install a client and enabling passive checks on both the server and host. (Nsclient++)
- Set the right IP address.
- Installed NSCA on the server.
- Opened up the firewall on both sides.

What i havn't done is:
- I havn't created a passive check hostfile, nor service check, i have no idea how to create one, what parameters to use?
- Set a password on either client or server (is that necessary? I have set allowed IPs only)