notification problem

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
lafargeuser

notification problem

Post by lafargeuser »

Pasting Nagios alerts for your reference.

Actually, everything is okay, except I am not able to get recovery notification of only one host during once in a week on saturday.

i.e. On Saturday one job is scheduled on app server & for that specific timeperiod CPU breaches above critical value & then come down in OK status. I am receiving Critical Alert for CPU but same time when CPU come out from critical state, I should get recovery alert. However, I can see OK alert in Alert tab. But I am not sure, why I am unable to receive service notification for OK status ?

beow are my notification options :-
c,w,r

[06-29-2013 05:38:28] SERVICE ALERT: BGLRMSRMDB;CPU Load;OK;HARD;3;CPU Load 56% (5 min average)
[06-29-2013 05:23:28] SERVICE FLAPPING ALERT: BGLRMSRMDB;CPU Load;STARTED; Service appears to have started flapping (21.3% change >= 20.0% threshold)
[06-29-2013 05:23:28] SERVICE ALERT: BGLRMSRMDB;CPU Load;WARNING;HARD;3;CPU Load 82% (5 min average)
[06-29-2013 05:18:28] SERVICE ALERT: BGLRMSRMDB;CPU Load;CRITICAL;HARD;3;CPU Load 92% (5 min average)
[06-29-2013 05:16:28] SERVICE ALERT: BGLRMSRMDB;CPU Load;WARNING;SOFT;2;CPU Load 85% (5 min average)
[06-29-2013 05:14:28] SERVICE ALERT: BGLRMSRMDB;CPU Load;WARNING;SOFT;1;CPU Load 80% (5 min average)
sreinhardt
-fno-stack-protector

Re: notification problem

Post by sreinhardt »

Are the notification options for your contact also set to recovery?
Nagios-Plugins maintainer exclusively, unless you have other C language bugs with open-source nagios projects, then I am happy to help! Please pm or use other communication to alert me to issues as I no longer track the forum.
lafargeuser

Post by lafargeuser »

Yes.

define contact{
contact_name remedy
use generic-contact
alias bmc
email remedy@lntinfotech.com
service_notifications_enabled 1
host_notifications_enabled 1
service_notification_period 24x7
host_notification_period 24x7
service_notification_options c,w,r
host_notification_options d,u,r,n
}
abrist
Red Shirt

Post by abrist »

It looks like this service was flapping, notifications will be disabled while it is flapping in order to reduce the flood of alerts that a flapping check can cause. If you want to be notified when it is flapping, add "f" to your notification options.

Code: Select all

f = send notifications when the host starts and stops flapping,
Former Nagios employee
"It is turtles. All. The. Way. Down. . . .and maybe an elephant or two."
VI VI VI - The editor of the Beast!
Come to the Dark Side.
lafargeuser

Post by lafargeuser »

Due to this I dont get recovery notification.

Basically, I have an Email integration of Nagios to Remedy (Service Desk tool) . If any critical alert comes ticket will raised in Remedy & recovery alert ticket will be autoclosed.
But due to service flapping,I am not able to get recovery Email notification. Because of that ticket is not getting auto closed.

Any solution for this ?
abrist
Red Shirt

Post by abrist »

Former Nagios employee
Come to the Dark Side.
lafargeuser

Post by lafargeuser »

Shall I disable the flap detection for this host ?
sreinhardt
-fno-stack-protector

Post by sreinhardt »

You could, but this could lead to false positives and a lot of tickets. By adjusting the flapping levels instead, you can effectively still tell when it is actually having issues and when it may be flapping.
Nagios-Plugins maintainer exclusively, unless you have other C language bugs with open-source nagios projects, then I am happy to help! Please pm or use other communication to alert me to issues as I no longer track the forum.
lafargeuser

Post by lafargeuser »

By adjusting the flapping levels instead..

Actually, once in a week script runs on every saturday & at that point of time CPU spikes above threshold value.
I do get CPU Critical alerts. But when CPU coming in normal state, I should get OK alert which I am not getting. Due to that Ticket is not resolved.

Also, I increased threshold values of warning & critical alerts.
abrist
Red Shirt

Post by abrist »

Is your contact set to be notified when a service enters a RECOVERY state?
Former Nagios employee
Come to the Dark Side.