Python time.sleep() doesn't work in command_line

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
Thaxll

Python time.sleep() doesn't work in command_line

Post by Thaxll »

Hello,

I'm facing a weird problem, I've got a simple:

define command {
command_name notify-service-by-email
command_line /opt/test.py --message "$SERVICEOUTPUT$"
}

The test.py contains a loop with a time.sleep(300) between elements, the first element of the loop is executed and then the program is exited. It's strange because it should loop over all items before quiting, When I run manualy the Python script everything is fine.
Is there a timeout or something within 'command_line' preventing the time.sleep() to be executed?

Thank you,
abrist
Red Shirt

Re: Python time.sleep() doesn't work in command_line

Post by abrist »

You can adjust the maximum timeout value for service checks by using the service_check_timeout directive in the main configuration file.
From: http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/configmain.html
Format: service_check_timeout=<seconds>
Example: service_check_timeout=60

This is the maximum number of seconds that Nagios will allow service checks to run. If checks exceed this limit, they are killed and a CRITICAL state is returned. A timeout error will also be logged.

There is often widespread confusion as to what this option really does. It is meant to be used as a last ditch mechanism to kill off plugins which are misbehaving and not exiting in a timely manner. It should be set to something high (like 60 seconds or more), so that each service check normally finishes executing within this time limit. If a service check runs longer than this limit, Nagios will kill it off thinking it is a runaway processes.
Former Nagios employee
"It is turtles. All. The. Way. Down. . . .and maybe an elephant or two."
VI VI VI - The editor of the Beast!
Come to the Dark Side.
Thaxll

Re: Python time.sleep() doesn't work in command_line

Post by Thaxll »

Thank you very much, increasing one of that value fixed the problem :)