Unknown - No data received from WMI

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
ChanningL

Unknown - No data received from WMI

Post by ChanningL »

Hello,

I have some issues with some of the disk checks. I get the following error on some of the windows hosts: Unknown - No data received from WMI.
All the rest of the checks on the windows hosts are working properly but on some windows hosts only the disk checks don't work. I use the check_disk_io.vbs.
command[get_diskio]=cscript.exe //nologo //T:60 c:\nrpe_nt\plugins\v2\check_disks_io.vbs -h "$ARG1$" -inst C: -prop "DiskReadBytesPerSec,DiskWriteBytesPerSec" -t "$ARG4$"

Does anyone have a clue how I can fix this?

And on some Windows hosts I'm getting this error: Timeout connecting to WMI on this host! Error Number: 462 Description: The remote server machine does not exist or is unavailable. Is this because some switches/firewalls doesn't let the WMI through?
yancy

Re: Unknown - No data received from WMI

Post by yancy »

Can you post the error you get when you run the following from the Windows command line.

Code: Select all

cscript.exe //nologo //T:60 c:\nrpe_nt\plugins\v2\check_disks_io.vbs -h "$ARG1$" -inst C: -prop "DiskReadBytesPerSec,DiskWriteBytesPerSec" -t "$ARG4$"
And on some Windows hosts I'm getting this error: Timeout connecting to WMI on this host! Error Number: 462 Description: The remote server machine does not exist or is unavailable. Is this because some switches/firewalls doesn't let the WMI through?
This is either due to the agent or the WMI Provider. I notice you're using a very outdated agent and would encourage you to upgrade in order to resolve the issue.

You could use:
NSClient++, which provides active checks and is more maintaned
NRDS_Win, for sending checks back passively
check_wmi_plus, uses the native WMI provider and requires to agent to be installed

-Yancy
ChanningL

Post by ChanningL »

When I run it on the commandline I'm getting the same error.
So there is no other solution then to upgrade the agent? Because I'm almost done so I would rather not start al over again haha. I'm using nrpe_nt now!
yancy

Post by yancy »

ChanningL,

Can you provide a link to check_disks_io.vbs so I can take a look at what it's doing.

Thanks,

-Yancy
ChanningL

Post by ChanningL »

Yes ofcourse! Here it is: http://wrttn.in/b5efbd

Gr,
Channing
yancy

Post by yancy »

ChanningL,

Seems to be working fine for me. Here are the arguments I used when running on the Windows command line.

cscript.exe //nologo //T:60 check_disks_io.vbs -h 127.0.0.1 -inst C: -prop "DiskReadBytesPerSec,DiskWriteBytesPerSec" -t "700,30:40,80"

Can you give that a test.

Thanks,

-Yancy
ChanningL

Post by ChanningL »

Hello,

It still doesn't work for me with those arguments.
yancy

Post by yancy »

ChanningL,

Does your user have admin access? If it doesn't have admin access, does it have permission to the WMI namespace?

What version of Windows is this you're running against?

-Yancy
ChanningL

Post by ChanningL »

Hello,

Yes my user has admin acces. The weird thing is that the "Unknown - No data received from WMI" error, is only on the disk checks and not on the other checks, those other checks are fine. So I don't think it has something to do with rights.

With the "Timeout connecting to WMI on this host! Error Number: 462 Description: The remote server machine does not exist or is unavailable" error, I'm also getting this error: "Timeout connecting to WMI on this host! Error Number: -2147023174 Description: The RPC server is unavailable". And on this server I've admin acces also.

Both errors are on a Windows 2000 server.
yancy

Post by yancy »

ChanningL,

If the user is administrator, it's probably not a permissions issue as the admin account has access to all WMI namespaces by default.

Here is a link to microsofts site about checking WMI for corruption
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/libr ... 04265.aspx

The other thing to consider is that the older Windows 2000 does not have the same classes.

try:

start > run > wbemtest 
you can enumerate classes to see if they exist.

-Yancy