Nagios serial interface monitoring

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
geekslinux

Nagios serial interface monitoring

Post by geekslinux »

Hi,

I have installed nagios and configured Ping & check_snmp services to monitor Cisco router. I have to monitor serial interfaces of the router

At present using the information from router i have configured
service_description Port X Link Status
check_command check_snmp!-C public -o ifOperStatus.X -r 1 -m RFC1213-MIB.

My problem is whenever the MPLS connectivity goes ISDN will fire the link will automatically come up(so PING will be continuously up) and the present setup is not showing MPLS down.
Even the MPLS is down it shows
IF-MIB::ifOperStatus.1 = INTEGER: up(1)
if snmpwalk is executed on the router.

How should i monitor serial0/1/0 or serial0/0/1 interfaces. If the link goes it should indicate it. Any input will be highly appreciated.
sreinhardt
-fno-stack-protector

Re: Nagios serial interface monitoring

Post by sreinhardt »

Could you execute an snmpwalk on IF-MIB::ifDescr. I want to be sure that .1 of ifoperstatus is actually your mpls port and not another jack. Otherwise snmptraps might be a better option for this, as it would allow the device to tell you when it has issues and report in just like a passive check instead of nagios always checking it and possibly missing.
Nagios-Plugins maintainer exclusively, unless you have other C language bugs with open-source nagios projects, then I am happy to help! Please pm or use other communication to alert me to issues as I no longer track the forum.