Create an alert for more than one superuser on server

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
dixiemetal

Create an alert for more than one superuser on server

Post by dixiemetal »

Yes I am trying to figure out how to write a plugin that contains conditional logic in regards to sending an alert if more than one superuser exists on the server. The only thing I have so far is the following command:

awk -F: '{if ($3 < 1) print $0}' < /etc/passwd

which prints --> root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash

This is close to what I need however I need this to report if the total count is more than one and I have no clue how to convert this into commands

So another words if I ran the same command and it printed the following then send an alert
awk -F: '{if ($3 < 1) print $0}' < /etc/passwd
root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash
super:x:0:0:super:/super:/bin/bash
-> send alert to Nagios

Any help is appreciated.
sreinhardt
-fno-stack-protector

Re: Create an alert for more than one superuser on server

Post by sreinhardt »

Something as simple as piping your current command into "wc -l" to check for total line count should work. If it's greater than 1, return critical, if 1 return OK. When returning, simply use exit(0) or exit(2) for OK and Critical respectively. You probably should take a look at the plugin guidelines for a more detailed description.

http://nagiosplug.sourceforge.net/devel ... lines.html
Nagios-Plugins maintainer exclusively, unless you have other C language bugs with open-source nagios projects, then I am happy to help! Please pm or use other communication to alert me to issues as I no longer track the forum.
dixiemetal

Re: Create an alert for more than one superuser on server

Post by dixiemetal »

Thank You Sir,

I ended up using the following syntax which works as tested.

#!/bin/bash

count=$(awk -F: '{if ($3 < 1) print $0}' < /etc/passwd | wc -l)
if [ $count -lt 2 ] ; then
echo "OK"
exit 0
elif [ $count=2 ] ; then
echo "CRITICAL - Multiple Superusers"
exit 2
fi

done