Host Escalation Usage - First and Last notification

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
matt.uebel

Host Escalation Usage - First and Last notification

Post by matt.uebel »

I am setting up Host Escalations and am trying to figure out the strategy involved with First and Last notification configuration.

In the documentation, it seems that the different Escalation levels are staggered so that, for instance:
lvl1
first: 1
Last: 4

lvl2
first: 5
last: 8

lvl3
first: 9
last :0

At each level, the contact groups are additive, so more people get involved in the problem.

What I am thinking of doing, to streamline the configuration, is:

lvl1
first: 1
last: 0

lvl2
first: 5

lvl3
first: 9

and so I only add the contacts at each level, as because of the "0" last config, people will continue receiving notifications without having to be specified at each level.

Is there something I am missing? Do I lose anything with this config?
abrist
Red Shirt

Re: Host Escalation Usage - First and Last notification

Post by abrist »

matt.uebel wrote:Is there something I am missing? Do I lose anything with this config?
Nope. Your config will just be noisy, but it sounds like that was the point. Sometimes, poeple just want to send 1 or two notifications to certain groups throughout the escalation (think managers or leads). They may want to know that the problem was escalating, but do not want to receive alerts afterwards.
Former Nagios employee
"It is turtles. All. The. Way. Down. . . .and maybe an elephant or two."
VI VI VI - The editor of the Beast!
Come to the Dark Side.