Why does the Windows Event Log hate me?

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
matt.uebel

Why does the Windows Event Log hate me?

Post by matt.uebel »

So I have been struggling with the Windows Event log for the last couple months. It seems to be the messiest, craziest, batch of madness ever, and seems to be nothing but noise.

There are many options available for dealing with it, and none of them that I have looked at seem to be particularly graceful (eventlog_nrpe_nt.exe, NagEventLog, NSClient++).

My question is: Do any of you have serious, and helpful, Windows Event Log monitoring solutions through Nagios in place? What did you end up using? How many hosts do you monitor?
sreinhardt
-fno-stack-protector

Re: Why does the Windows Event Log hate me?

Post by sreinhardt »

This is actually something we are working on internally, for your exact reasons. Presently, many people do like nagevent log although it is older, and some others prefer the nsclient++ especially for the passive abilities. Is there something in particular you are looking to get out of it?
Nagios-Plugins maintainer exclusively, unless you have other C language bugs with open-source nagios projects, then I am happy to help! Please pm or use other communication to alert me to issues as I no longer track the forum.