Monitoring status of windows print queue?

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
Winston Smith

Monitoring status of windows print queue?

Post by Winston Smith »

I've been trying to find a way to monitor a Windows (2K8) Print Queue with Nagios, but can't find what I'm looking for in pre-defined terms, and can't find a comprehensive list of check_nt command variables or canned generic service checks. Can anyone point me in the right direction, or tell me if this is even possible?

I want an alert if the Print Queue is inactive for 8 hours.

Seems pretty straight forward, but so far the solution is eluding me.

Thanks
sreinhardt
-fno-stack-protector

Re: Monitoring status of windows print queue?

Post by sreinhardt »

This is not something that check_nt has by default, however you may be able to find this in a performance monitor. By idle, do you mean no jobs have been submitted, or that a job has been stuck for 8 hours? I you mean the former, I think this would be very hard to define unless you can pull the time last job was printed and compare with the current time. I do not know if this data is stored though.

edit: Using this link to find the print queue performance counters, there is nothing of date\time stamps. Only numeric values for number of jobs, problems, and such. Maybe with a bit more explanation I can find something else that would work for you.
Nagios-Plugins maintainer exclusively, unless you have other C language bugs with open-source nagios projects, then I am happy to help! Please pm or use other communication to alert me to issues as I no longer track the forum.
Winston Smith

Post by Winston Smith »

You are correct: if no jobs have been submitted for 8 hours, I want to be notified.
slansing

Post by slansing »

Were you able to find a performance counter that would work for you?
Winston Smith

Post by Winston Smith »

No. still not resolved