Problems with NRPE = how install?

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
loobyz

Problems with NRPE = how install?

Post by loobyz »

Hello,

Sorry for the mistakes but I don't speak English very well.
I installed Nagios and Centreon on a server and services as "chek_fping" works. I need to install nrpe used to fill other services. Can you tell me how I should proceed.
What should I install on the nagios server?
What should I install on the server to be monitored?

I read more support on the net but nothing is the same. Thank you for your help
mguthrie

Re: Problems with NRPE = how install?

Post by mguthrie »

I'm not a pro with nrpe, but I can give you the basic outline.

If you've got Nagios installed with the check plugins, your nagios server is already setup with what it needs for nrpe. It's a simple check plugin that receives data from outside sources.

The remote machine needs the nrpe-server plugin installed on it, or some form of remote agent, and the system needs to be set up to allow traffic on port 5666 to get through from your Nagios server. I believe this package can be installed through both apt and yum. Some decent resources to look at can be found here:
http://exchange.nagios.org/index.php?op ... ux%20agent

The XI tutorials should still give you the general idea of what needs to be done for a Core installation as well. Last I checked nrpe docs were a bit dated.
loobyz

Re: Problems with NRPE = how install?

Post by loobyz »

Thanks for your response. How do I install nrpe on my server? Because on my remote server, I don't need plugins. I tried to compile and got an error message when I do "make all".
Thank you