check_snmp returning status Unknown "No OIDs specified"

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
jbuhrmann

check_snmp returning status Unknown "No OIDs specified"

Post by jbuhrmann »

I have just installed Nagios on Ubuntu server 10.04 LTS using the quickstart instructions. All the localhost checks are working. I am trying to add monitoring for a cisco switch. The ping check is working, but when I try to monitor a port or system uptime I get a service status of Unknown and status information of "No OIDs specified".

here is the service configuration
define service{
use generic-service
host_name myswitch
service_description PortCheck
check_command check_snmp!-C xxx -o 1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.8.1 -r 1 -m RFC1213-MIB
}

When I run check_snmp from command line it returns properly

/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_snmp -H 172.22.2.10 -C xxx -o 1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.8.1 -r 1 -m RFC1213-MIB
SNMP OK - 2 | RFC1213-MIB::ifOperStatus.1=2

It is returning a value of 2 meaning the port is down which is what is expected, but when you view the service from the web interface it shows as status Unknown.

I have the following snmp packages installed on the server:
i libnet-snmp-perl - Script SNMP connections
i A libsnmp-base - SNMP (Simple Network Management Protocol)
i libsnmp-dev - SNMP (Simple Network Management Protocol)
i libsnmp-info-perl - Object Oriented Perl5 Interface to Network
i libsnmp-mib-compiler-perl - a MIB Compiler supporting SMIv1 and SMIv2
i libsnmp-multi-perl - Perform SNMP operations on multiple hosts
i libsnmp-perl - SNMP (Simple Network Management Protocol)
i libsnmp-session-perl - Perl support for accessing SNMP-aware devi
i A libsnmp15 - SNMP (Simple Network Management Protocol)
i snmp - SNMP (Simple Network Management Protocol)
i snmpd - SNMP (Simple Network Management Protocol)

Strangely I get the same result in the web interface even if I put the wrong community string into the service configuration whereas the command line reports back an error like:
External command error: Timeout: No Response from 172.22.2.10:161.
Again, as expected.

Not seeing anything in syslog. What am I missing?
jbuhrmann

Re: check_snmp returning status Unknown "No OIDs specified"

Post by jbuhrmann »

As a further test I installed Nagios on a separate server following the same guide. This time the server is an Ubuntu 8.04 LTS server. I am getting the same results. check_snmp works from the command line, but gives me No OIDs specified from the web interface.
jbuhrmann

Re: check_snmp returning status Unknown "No OIDs specified"

Post by jbuhrmann »

I ran a further test by installing on a CentOS 5.5 server and got the same result so I did some further testing with the community string. Our comm string had an ! in it. I knew this was a special character in the linux world and I tried to escape it by putting the community string in single quotes in the nagios config, but it didn't like it in either format. When we added a community string with no special characters it worked just fine.

The thing that threw me all along was that it worked fine running the check_snmp command line script and only failed in the web format.

Hope this helps someone else who might run into the same problem.

Case closed.