Email Notifications

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
randywhite30

Email Notifications

Post by randywhite30 »

I have been working on this problem for the past few days and still cant get the email notifications to work. I have installed and setup according to the quickstart guide on the nagios website. I first tried ubuntu then Centos because I thought maybe it was a bug in ubuntu but I have the same problem in both. I have tried configuring postfix and failed, I then tried sendmail and again failed. My question is does anyone know of a complete step by step guide how to setup nagios and also the email part, the OS really doesnt matter because at this point I will go with what works. From what I have found it should work but its not. Any help would be great. My other question is do I even need an email deamon running. I would think there would be a place to add a external smtp server so that sendmail or postfix doesnt have to be configured.

Thanks

Randy
nosebreaker

Re: Email Notifications

Post by nosebreaker »

I installed Zimbra (an entire Collaboration Suite, not just sendmail) on mine and it just worked, however it only sends to mailboxes on that host. I didn't have to configure anything, but it probably configured sendmail beforehand so I didn't have to. I used CentOS 5.5 for mine. See my thread about nagios@host vs nagios@fqdn.com for the issue I am having though.