Viewing results of Service Monitoring

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
ray

Viewing results of Service Monitoring

Post by ray »

Is there a way that we can view the results values from the service checks?
For example (from the web interface): the default check_load service displays OK, W or C depending o the threshold values set in the cfg file - is it possible to see the actual value of the CPU load - (48%) etc.
Status Information just shows 'NRPE 2.8'
We would also like to see the actual number of processes for the 'Total Processes' service.

Is this somewhere in the docs?

Any help is appreciated
Ray
mmestnik

Re: Viewing results of Service Monitoring

Post by mmestnik »

Ray,
Under Advanced at the vary bottom called Performance Data. This is on the Service/Host Status Detail page that you can surf to from the Service/Host Status page. To get to the Service/Host Status you can go to the Tactical Overview and click on most anything there or use the Quick find if you know that name of what you are looking for.
ray

Post by ray »

Thank you for your response.
>>"Under Advanced at the vary bottom called Performance Data. This is on the Service/Host Status Detail page"

I am looking at the Service/Host Status page and can see the Services and the Status - there is no 'Advanced' or 'Performance Data' text anywhere on the page. Clicking either the Host or Service takes me to further information, but there is nothing to indicate anything outside the basic State, Latency and check times.

On the menu on the left there is an option for 'Performance Info' but that tells us nothing other than some basic statistics.

Do we need to modify the CGI code to return the actual values? We are using Nagios 3.2.0
I've attached an image of what I'm looking at - possibly I have the wrong page....

cheers
Ray
Attachments
basic.jpg
basic.jpg (114.42 KiB) Viewed 3176 times
mmestnik

Post by mmestnik »

Ohh, sorry you are correct. Service Detail page should show this information. The status information returned, the performance data, and the last check time.
ray

Post by ray »

Thanks again for you reply - and apologies for not responding sooner.

My original question still stands - How we can view the actual values of the system processes rather than watermark indicators?
Should we be editing the CGI files to provide this information? Is what you describe a bug in the current release, and we should just wait for the next release?

thanks
mmestnik

Post by mmestnik »

This is what I get:
Status Information: OK - load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
Performance Data: load1=0.000;5.000;10.000;0; load5=0.000;4.000;6.000;0; load15=0.000;3.000;4.000;0;

As you indicate you are getting the Performance Data replaced by NRPE. However the Status Information should still indicate the current load readings.

Check the command output on the host, perhaps you should update the remote host's plugins. I'm unaware of how to correct NRPE to report properly, but I do know that in my experience NRPE is transparent. Perhaps you need to update your NRPE client and server.