"snprintf.o: No such file or directory" possible solution?

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
pflynn

"snprintf.o: No such file or directory" possible solution?

Post by pflynn »

I was building Nagios core 3.2.3 ( http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/sour ... 2.3.tar.gz ) in my Solaris Box ( uname -a: SunOS nagios 5.9 Generic_118558-25 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-V490), but the compilation proccess was broken due to the "gcc: ../common/snprintf.o: No such file or directory" error:

gcc -g -O2 -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DNSCORE -c ../common/snprintf.c
gcc -g -O2 -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DNSCORE -o nagios nagios.c broker.o nebmods.o checks.o config.o commands.o events.o flapping.o logging.o macros-base.o netutils.o notifications.o sehandlers.o skiplist.o utils.o retention-base.o xretention-base.o comments-base.o xcomments-base.o objects-base.o xobjects-base.o statusdata-base.o xstatusdata-base.o perfdata-base.o xperfdata-base.o downtime-base.o xdowntime-base.o ../common/snprintf.o -lm -lsocket -lpthread -lltdl -lrt -lsocket
gcc: ../common/snprintf.o: No such file or directory
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `nagios'
Current working directory /export/home/pflynn/devel/nagios-3.2.3/base
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `all'

My Solaris Box has the snprintf function, but it does not have the asprintf and vasprintf functions:

./configure
(...)
checking for vsnprintf... yes
checking for snprintf... yes
checking for asprintf... no
checking for vasprintf... no
checking for C99 vsnprintf... no
(...)

so the configure script substituted the @SNPRINTF_O@ variables to ../common/snprintf.o into the generated Makefiles. I think that it is correct, but the problem is that the generated Makefiles seem not to have a target for building the snprintf.o file. I´ve edited the cgi/Makefile.in and base/Makefile.in files and manually added the "supposedly" missing target:

######## REQUIRED LIBRARIES ##########

$(SNPRINTF_O): $(SRC_COMMON)/snprintf.c
$(CC) $(CFLAGS) -c -o $@ $(SRC_COMMON)/snprintf.c

after that, the compilation proccess was succesfull and Nagios was built.
But I´m not sure if this is a configuration bug or if I´ve missed something. Does anyone know a better solution?

Thanks in advance
sun-support

Re: "snprintf.o: No such file or directory" possible solutio

Post by sun-support »

cp ../base/snprintf.o ../common/