Distributed Monitoring with one way firewall

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
BenShade

Distributed Monitoring with one way firewall

Post by BenShade »

Hi,

I have had a look around the forums etc but can't yet find the answer to this.

I have a Master Nagios server and also a slave server. The slave is for a separate firewalled network with large numbers of machines. Both work fine standalone, but now I want to get the results from the 'slave' firewalled network back into the Master Nagios server.
The normal distributed solutions I have read about are all with the slaves connecting back to the master. However in this case there is a 'one way' firewall in the way, and the slave cannot initiate a connection to the master. There are no other routes out, so the only way to get the data is for the masterserver to poll the slave and retrieve the data collected by that server in one connection.

Is there anything out there that I have missed that can do this for nagios? Any suggestion on how to to this appreciated.

Thanks
Ben
mguthrie

Re: Distributed Monitoring with one way firewall

Post by mguthrie »

NRPE is a "two way" connection, and NSCA is a slave->master connection. You could look into check_by_ssh or check_multi (which uses ssh), but this method is slower and much more performance intensive than NRPE or NSCA.