Nagios Server Capacity

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
topcom

Nagios Server Capacity

Post by topcom »

Hi everyone,

I have installed Nagios and at the begining all goes right, my problem is after configured the monitoring the system is overloaded and I don't know why because the server is only for Nagios.

Now my Nagios has 2000 hosts with 10 services per host, with a refresh rate of 5 minutes.

It's normal? what is the maximun host per Nagios server?

Is there any table with Nagios Server capacity??

Thanks in advance
mguthrie

Re: Nagios Server Capacity

Post by mguthrie »

What are the specs on your server?

There's not a table in existence for that, because different checks and setups can vary substantially in performance load.

30000 checks is a LOT for any machine. You'd need to have a pretty powered up server to be able to handle that. A lot of people move towards distributed monitoring when you have over 10000-15000 checks running, so the checks are running on one machine, and the results are displayed on another.
topcom

Re: Nagios Server Capacity

Post by topcom »

Hi mguthrie,

So you think is better to separate the load in for example two servers with these specs:

2 servers with 1000 hosts with 10 services and with a refresh rate of 5 minutes.

We have a dell server with 8 GB of RAM and we need to know if the distributed aproach is the best option to get a new one.

This architecture is very common with this amount of host/services?

Thanks in advance