Email notifications doesn't work and fault missing plugins

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
Stijn

Email notifications doesn't work and fault missing plugins

Post by Stijn »

Hi,

I'm monitoring some stuff on my network but when there are critical alerts I don't get any email.

Second on a switch I want to check the uptime but there stands this error: (Return code of 127 is out of bounds - plugin may be missing).
I installed the plugins that I could find on this website, so I don't really know how to fix this.

Third, on a second switch I want to check the bandwith Usage, but there I get this error: check_mrtgtraf: Unable to open MRTG log file
I went to that pad and indeed there is no mrtg map with a log file in it.

How I can fix all these problems?

Thanks in advance
Stijn

Re: Email notifications doesn't work and fault missing plugins

Post by Stijn »

Help? :?
ghuey

Post by ghuey »

Going to assume you are running Nagios on linux.

Concerning email, you need to make sure you have either sendmail or postfix configured and running on your installation. This needs to be tested outside of Nagios first. I have only done it once and Google provided the solution so sorry I cannot give details, but that is most likely your problem. Again once you believe you have it configured, send a test email to yourself from the command line. If you get that far then Nagios should have no problems assuming you have setup contacts in the correct cfg file.

Concerning the uptime on the switch. You need to read over the check_npre documentation for how to run the check from the shell of your server. When troubleshooting Nagios forget about the web interface. You need to run everything from the command line first to verify. In this particular case when I had this issue it was because the generic MIB I specified as an argument for the command was not compatible with my cisco switch. Once I passed the npre command the correct MIB I got correct results. If you don't know what a MIB is then you have some reading ahead of you.

The MRTG issue you are asking about is most likely a cisco configuration issue and not a Nagios issue. If you do not have it setup correctly on the cisco switch then obviously Nagios can't report back so you need to find information on setting this up.

Again I am no pro and just started with Nagios, but I did run into those same issues.
Stijn

Post by Stijn »

Thanks for your reply.
We are using Dell and HP switches. Do you know where I can find those documentation to run those checks from the shell?
ghuey

Post by ghuey »

Stijn wrote:Thanks for your reply.
We are using Dell and HP switches. Do you know where I can find those documentation to run those checks from the shell?
This link got email going for me, but I am running this on Ubuntu Server so instructions may vary for you:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Postf ... SetupHowto

As far as running checks from the command line. Assuming you have SSH access to the server and you have a default installation then you should just be able to go out to:

/usr/local/nagios/libexec and run any of the installed checks from there using the syntax that is shown in the documentation for the syntax. Concerning those specific commands you are running there was a PDF file included with the check_nrpe add-on that gave me the correct syntax although it should be the same command that you have configured in your command.cfg file.