Caught SIGSEGV, shutting down...

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
ghuey

Caught SIGSEGV, shutting down...

Post by ghuey »

Been testing Nagios for a few weeks and the software is amazing. Unfortunately, it appears that I may have broken something. Now, even though my config files pass the Nagios verification with no erros; I cannot start the Nagios service. When I attempt to start it most of the time it comes back with:

Starting nagios:CONFIG ERROR! Start aborted. Check your Nagios configuration.

However, like I said the config verification always passes. Sometimes it appears that the Nagios process does start with no errors, but it is never listed as a running process and obviously the web interface does not work.

Every time I attempt to start Nagios, I do get the following in the log:

Code: Select all

[01-24-2011 08:19:51] Caught SIGSEGV, shutting down...
[01-24-2011 08:19:51] Finished daemonizing... (New PID=28977)
[01-24-2011 08:19:51] LOG VERSION: 2.0
[01-24-2011 08:19:51] Local time is Mon Jan 24 08:19:51 CST 2011
[01-24-2011 08:19:51] Nagios 3.2.3 starting... (PID=28976)
I did some searching and there is mention of this possibly being a bug, but wanted to double check with the pros on here.

My Nagios Core is version 3.2.3 and I am running this on Ubuntu Server 10.10

Appreciate everyone's time on this.
ghuey

Re: Caught SIGSEGV, shutting down...

Post by ghuey »

Thought I would reply that my Nagios is now working again, but unfortunately I am not 100% sure in what exactly the resolution was.

There was mention somewhere that the checking for updates setting in the nagios.cfg file was possibly causing the above error message. I changed between the on/off settings a few times so I am not clear if it is even related.

The only other changes were attempting to reconcile what the correct permissions should have been on the rw directory under /nagios/var. In my case the "nagcmd" group of which the user www-data was a member had to have r/w rights to the directory. Not sure how it changed or why, but I leaning towards this being the reason.

Hope it leads someone to the right direction...
rdedon

Re: Caught SIGSEGV, shutting down...

Post by rdedon »

Thank you for the update on this and good to see that is working. If you happen to find out any more information as to why that happened please post it here :-)
Rene deDon
Technical Team
___
Nagios Enterprises, LLC
Web: http://www.nagios.com