config nrpe w/o ssl

An open discussion forum for obtaining help with Nagios Core. Nagios Core users of all experience levels are welcome here. Subforum have been created for the discussion of Nagios Core and Nagios Plugin development.

NOTE: The SourceForge.net mailing lists have been deprecated in favor of this forum in order to expedite support and provide additional features not available on the old mailing list.

config nrpe w/o ssl

Postby wcattell » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:00 am

I've pulled down nrpe-2.12 and i'm trying to config it to not use ssl (don't ask, long story). :roll:

I've been trying ./configure --without-ssl as listed on a Solaris/Nagios site. It's a no-go here.

Any hints or tips on the correct syntax? Looking through ./configure --help showed the --without-PACKAGE.

The server OS is Centos 4.2, plug-ins 1.4.14 and nrpe-2.12.

TIA,

Bill
wcattell

Re: config nrpe w/o ssl

Postby mmestnik » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:05 pm

At times I've also longed to do NRPE without it's burdensome authentication. However the route you've chosen is quite uniq I'm afraid. I believe that NRPE does not use SSL or TLS, it only uses a handful of cryptography functions from the library to make it's own transactions secure.

As a solution you may instead choose to make RPCs using ssh.
http://exchange.nagios.org/directory/Addons/Monitoring-Agents/SSH-Push-Check/details
mmestnik

Return to Nagios Core